PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary usage

brighter
01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new here and just read the daily diary thread about whether to buy or do one yourself. Some of you replied "it never leaves your house" and it is something to show Ofsted when they come around. Does that mean I have to do two daily diaries? One for me and on for the family? Or do you just all have a own diary where you record things you have done with the children?

Thank you.
Nadine

bubbly
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I keep my daily diaries on the laptop and make notes in there during the day. I store everything on a memory stick and print out 2 A4 copies - one for myself and one for the parents. I give the parents room to write any comments and if they do, photocopy their returned daily diary and give the original back. That way, we both have copies and nothing gets lost.

sarah707
01-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a little book that goes back and forth and I encourage parents to write in it... I keep photocopies in case it gets lost. :D

brighter
01-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I really like your idea Sarah! As I wouldn't have to photocopy it every day, and I am not so organized as the first person to reply (unfortunatly). :)

bubbly
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
^ I should've mentioned I don't store any info on the memory stick for longer than a day. It's all wiped clean at the end of each day.

Tatia
01-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I use a cheap spiral bound flip noteook for the daily diary. It goes backwards and forwards between me and home.

My observations folder does NOT go home.

donnahay0
01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I find it depends on the parents. At the moment my parents don't want to use the daily diary as they prefer to discuss the day when they collect and I always show them photographs displayed on the wall and in the scrap book (always on side for them and children to view).

What I have done is use what I call the Daily contact book which goes back and forth (just a cheap notebook) this comes in useful for anything I need to remember from school runs (parents often ask if such and such can go to tea etc) or to remind parents to bring x, y or z. They can write in anything they need me to remember etc.

I do still keep a daily diary for each child and the parents know it is available for them at any time.

I always offer to do a daily diary when the child starts and when used, so far, I haven't had problems with it getting lost or left at their house. I can imagine it being quite a problem.

I don't know if this is acceptable or not - comments greatly appreciated.

deeb66
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I use a standard form which I print off the computer.

Top half contains all necessary info like what the have eaten, their mood etc etc.

I use 2 different types....one for babies (contains more detailed info) and one for toddlers.

I then write the details out and add on the bottom what we have done that day etc etc.

The sheet is then put into a plastic wallet type folder and goes back and forth.

parents are encouraged to write on the forms also or use the reverse or another sheet if there is no room.

I used to use note books but found they quite often got lost which I found very frustrating.....now if they get lost I only have to supply another wallet! .......

I also found that book can be quite heavy but with the plastic wallet system I encourage parents to empty the pages out every now and again.

I also keep a small daily diary for myself which is a constant record of where we have been during the day and what activites we have been doing.