PDA

View Full Version : Retainer Fees

JoJo*
16-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Hi...
Hope someone can help with this...

Im newly registered and and currently still in my office job - finish in Aug :clapping:
Ive started to advertise and have had a lady ask about a retainer fee but doesnt want to start till Jan 2012?
its quite a few months off -

Carol M
16-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, if she wants you to keep a place I suppose you could agree a retainer under the usual rules.
I am in a similar situation, current mindee cutting down hrs from sept to dec whilst mum on mat leave, I'm still doing the funded hrs for this one. Sibling wants 5 day place in Jan, current mindee wants 3 specific days from sept.
I have another one leaving end of summer term so I have a 4 day space from Sept. I have already had 2 families express interest but if I take either on I won't have space for sibling. I would have to apply for a variation, may not get it and not keen to have 4 under 4's every day :eek: BUT
I can't afford to hold a space for nothing.
It's a dilema.
Interested to hear what others say.
Carol xx

JoJo*
16-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh dear that's a hard one??:idea:

miffy
16-06-2011, 08:57 PM
If you charge a retainer you need to be available to look after the child if needed - as you're still working would you be able to do that?

Miffy xx

The Juggler
17-06-2011, 06:13 AM
For me would depend on how many other spaces I had vacant. If you have 2 other full time spaces I would do it but only if mum is prepared to pay at least 1/2 fees for all that time - which is a big ask of mum.

Or you could be generous, fill your other spaces first then if someone pops up asking for this space that's when mum would start paying a retainer.

It's a lot of income to lose if you are holding the space.

Carol M I'm in a similar position to you. Have a child 4 days per week. Mum wants to drop to 2 on mat leave but have all 4 spaces back for baby when she goes back to work. I have agreed if she can pay for 3 days I can afford to hold the 4 days for her but will try to fill it wiht a temp. Meanwhile I'm seeing if I can find any temp jobs for 2 days for the duration of her mat leave that will allow her to drop to 2 days.

It's tricky. OP I personally wouldn't hold a space until next Jan for someone at half fees if it were full-time - I couldn't afford to but if it's just one or two days I might.