PDA

View Full Version : Retention period for NCMA insurance

MaryMary
14-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I am reviewing my policies, and I have in my Confidentiality policy that I will keep records of incidents/accidents for 21 years 4 months incase a claim is made later. Is this right? :o I know the 21 years is right - it is the extra 4 months I am confused about!:huh:

Can anyone clarify?

sarah707
14-06-2011, 05:09 PM
NCMA say 21 years and 7 months (I think).

Morton Michel say until the child is 21 years old.

:D

rickysmiths
14-06-2011, 05:33 PM
You have to keep them until the mindee is 21years old, not keep them for 21 years.

This is because when they are 18 they have 3 years to lodge a claim against you in their own right. It is good practice to keep them a few months over the required time, hense the 3mths.

I actually keep all the childs records, Contracts, Attendance Register etc with the Accident/Incident Records so I have all their information incase a claim is lodged.

I have been minding for 16yrs now and have shreded several of the before and afer schoolies info as they have reached 21yrs. I have a list though of all my mindees, full names, DOB and parents names which I always keep.

christine e
14-06-2011, 06:03 PM
NCMA's insurance factsheet (Q & A section) suggests that you retain records for 25 years because if the accident was a serious accident a claim could be made even after the 21years plus 4 months (or whatever the months were).

Christine

MaryMary
14-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Thank you.

I have looked at the NCMA site aswell. Christine, you are right, in the Q&A it does say 25 years. However, their sample confidentiality policy states 21 years 4 months (so that's where I got it from! :doh: ) It's no wonder I am confused!!

I think I will leave my policy as it is :)
Thanks again

miffy
15-06-2011, 06:53 AM
NCMA's insurance factsheet (Q & A section) suggests that you retain records for 25 years because if the accident was a serious accident a claim could be made even after the 21years plus 4 months (or whatever the months were).

Christine

Thank you Christine, I didn't realise that - I just lurve hanging on to all this paperwork! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx