PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid - no one wants me

hbomb1
01-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi all,

I wonder if any of you lovely ladies could give me some tips on securing mindees. I have had visits from two potential mums and both of them seemed happy with my home and what I offer, etc. The first lady telephoned within 48 hours to say she was going with another CM, and I am still waiting to hear from the second mum who visited over a week ago. :(

I am paranoid that I did something/didn't do something that has put them off. When I was CM in 2005, parents who visited me signed up there and then, so why don't they want me now?

When I get a call I take brief details e.g. name, age of child, hours required and then invite them round to view the setting and chat about what I offer, fees, meals, etc. I hand them a 3 page brochure which details what we have discussed and asking them to provide me with an answer within 48-hours.

What else can I do? I pushed and chased the CRB and my local Early Years Dept and now I have everything (well waiting for my NCMA pack/insurance) I have no one lined up.

:(

sarah707
01-05-2008, 06:32 AM
I find parents are much more savvy nowadays to what they were even a few years ago... they check out so many other places and will often go for the cheapest which I find quite sad...

It's not likely to be anything you are doing or saying.

What I would suggest though is you give a time limit to their deliberations... I will keep a place open for you until xxx but then I need a yes or no from you. Is it ok if I ring you to check what you want me to do as I will need to advertise your space ? That way you're not sat waiting for a call... cos it's unlikely you'll get one, you are way off their radar after a week - not always but probably...

Hope that helps :D

hbomb1
01-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Thank you Sarah. I shall make a note of that now :D

angeldelight
01-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Oh its not your fault - I get this all the time yes some others sign up straight away
I would do the same give them a time limit - say could you let me know by x date I have someone else coming to see me - make it look like you are busy

Problem is parents have so much choice these days - even nurserys are open longer hours around here so you have much more competition

Hope the parent contacts you

Angel xx

hbomb1
01-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks Angel :)

Oh I hope someone rings soon...

sarah707
01-05-2008, 07:23 AM
There might be some ideas on here you haven't though about...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=advertising

hbomb1
01-05-2008, 08:18 AM
That's fantastic. :thank you:

I shall spend the morning going through my docs again and creating some adverts.

Thanks Sarah

:D

Spangles
01-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Don't worry, it won't be about you.

Parents all look for different things, maybe price, experience, how many other children you have, whether you 'click', what activities you provide, bla bla bla. You have to be true to yourself and then you will find the right families for your setting.

Some parents as well go away and then find a family member or someone who says they'll do it instead. Some decide it's not worth going back to work after all.

There are loads and loads of reasons, I really wouldn't think it was anything personal to you.

Keep going you will find the perfect ones soon.

x

susi513
01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Its disappointing when they choose someone else, and even more frustrating when they don't even bother to let you know.

Be bold - if they say they've chosen someone else ask if they mind telling you who they've chosen and what they especially liked there. Can be revealing although they mostly say they've chosen someone nearer. Others told me they chose a husband & wife team nearby, because they felt they were a bit inbetween a nursery and childminding setting and they liked that. So I made myself a list of what I think I do better than they do and make sure to mention these points at interview.

Also I put the parents on the spot at the end of the interview by asking them if they would be comfortable leaving their child in my care? Or do they have any queries or concerns about anything I've said or shown them? I never ask them to sign up there and then, I give them an application form to take away with my handbook and ofsted report so they can return the application form with deposit if they want to apply for a place with me. But by asking directly, it gives them a chance to voice any concerns and me a chance to correct any misunderstanding or start negotiating. :D

I also suggest a deadline for contacting me, but I make clear I'm not holding a place for them until I get their application and deposit.

hbomb1
01-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Thank you Lori and Susi for your advice; I no longer feel 'paranoid' . :blush:

Think I will make a checklist for when parents visit so that I don't miss anything and also give them a deadline for letting me know by.

Also I put the parents on the spot at the end of the interview by asking them if they would be comfortable leaving their child in my care?
I will ask the parent(s) this next time - at least that way it should give me some sort of idea whether they really like me/my home.

Thanks very much Susi :D

Mrs M
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to say I feel exactly the same as you. I have been registered since February and haven't actually got any clients yet. I've had four enquiries - first one didn't even get as far as coming to see me as she decided on nursery and granparents, second one came to meet me and I felt I did a good job in selling my service but she was more interested in going home to sort out a night out and although she said it was between me and the nursery, I haven't heard anything. Third one cancelled due to the logistics of travelling to my house as she lives in another town. The fourth is coming to visit me tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed. It's very frustrating, upsetting and a lot of the time I feel very deflated. However, have faith and it will happen (that's what I keep telling myself!). I have a check list that I stick to so I know I've covered everything. I have a booklet which has a two page section about myself, my home, the service I provide and why they should choose a childminder over a nursery. The rest of the booklet holds my 20 policies and various other forms. I have never given a time limit although now after reading a lot of the other comments, I will do!
Good luck x

Straws
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I know how you feel, The first two interviews I did came to nothing. I spoke to other experienced childminders in my area on interviewing tips. I was pleased on the last 4 interviews the parents did sign up. Some good tips were to have photo's of household members so parents can see who lives in your home. Also have a list of other childminders phone numbers and recommend parents visit atleast 3 other childminders before making a decision. Another tip was not to mention contracts and fees untill the end of the interview.

Straws xx

hbomb1
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
The fourth is coming to visit me tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed.

Hope your parent turned up Emma, and all went well. Thank you for your comments. I too am going to prepare a checklist to ensure that I have covered everything.

hbomb1
04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I have spoken to other minders in the village and they have told me not to worry as parents these days check out all the options and quite often go for cheaper childcare.

glad you manage to fill your places Straws :thumbsup:

Banana
04-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Dont worry

soon you will be filling all your vacancies and turning people away!

I have had 5 sets of parents visit - which i have never heard anything back from, 1 set who agreed there and then to sign contracts the next day - never turned up and, and 1 set who signed contracts etc and then never turned up - and I've only been minding 18 months. On the flip side other parents have been happy and placed their child in my care and I am not struggling for work at all, I am as full as I wish to be at the moment and thats with me working 4.5 days a week.

It will happen for you!! You just have to hang in there and the parents who can see what a great minder you are will snap up your services!! Just never feel defeated, setting up a business takes time

xxx

hbomb1
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks ladies :thank you:

You have all made me feel much better. :)