PDA

View Full Version : Toys and Resources.

Kezzle
13-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Could anyone suggest some toys to start off with please. I don't want to buy tonnes of things and clutter my house, and i don't have lots of cash to splash either after all these starting up costs.

I have a small collection of books and i keep adding more as and when i can. Also i should be getting an easel aswell. I keep saving things i think may be usefull for craft too like empty toilet rolls and nesquick milkshake boxes.

It's just actual toys i'm struggling to think what would be the best value for money i guess. Oh, i also have a spare computer which has seen better days for homework access research etc. I also have an old version of nintendo DS hanging about for treats.

Ideas appreciated, Thank you.

miffy
13-06-2011, 05:15 PM
So much will depend on the ages of the children you look after. Tbh I would wait and see before spending out lots of cash on toys - you might buy the wrong things and you have to store it all.

Miffy xx

Penny1959
13-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Find out if there is a toy library nearby - could save you loads of cash and the need to store things long term.

If you want to buy a few things go to a car boot and buy a few things that would appeal to a wide age range and both boys and girls.

Penny :)

sarah707
13-06-2011, 06:23 PM
You might find this thread helpful :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83191&highlight=toys

Kezzle
13-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the link i noted a couple i'd been thinking of myself. I would like to get a few things in that can be suitable for mixed ages, as when i'm registered on the off chance someone wants me right away i'd like to have something here for them to do! I'm not buying any baby equipment or anything untill i get interest. (that or i get pregnant?! haha)

zippy
13-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I would recommend going to a bootsale and buying good quality second hand toys especially durable stuff like little tykes fisher price etc they are really durable

QualityCare
14-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Look around charity shops as well, make sure toys are complete and washable, l avoid TV show themed toys they go out of fashion to quick. Get good quality toys that have more than one use to suit the needs of various children (eg:posting box, a;bricks to build and knock down, b; posting, c;colours and shapes). A few puzzles and inset boards, home corner equipment suits all ages.

Happy Bunny
14-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I bought a huge box of brio off ebay which children of all ages like.

Greengrass74
14-06-2011, 11:55 AM
You can also start collecting boxes, packaging, tubes etc, our kids love playing with cardboard tubing (the ones from the middle of carpet rolls) they run cars,balls etc down them and they are free.

We have learnt that you do not need to spend a fortune on expensive toys when there are so many every day things around the house to have fun with, spoons, pots and pans, brushes etc.

You will be surprised how much stuff you already have around the house, it's called Heuristic play, you may of heard of it if not just type it in Google and you will find loads of info.

We also have a local resource centre run by the local council for schools and nurseries and childminders, they have some great stuff like paper, card arts and craft materials and many other great resources.

Kezzle
15-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all your answers :) I have started collecting toilet roll tubes for craft ideas and i got given an easel.

I've got books plus my sisters old dolls pram a couple of jigsaws and i went and bought a big play mat from ikea, (the ones with the roads on etc) cars seemed to be a popular choice with a few minders so i was hoping that was a wise buy.

I've got lots of throws/blankets for cosey corners or play dens and what not. I know i loved making a den under the dining table a few times and i loved my pop up tent so i was going to find one of those too.

jayjay1963
16-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Check out Tesco and Asda for pop-up tents, also Sainsburys. They have a great selection of outdoor toys at good prices. I would also register at your local Early Learning Centre, you will get 10% off your purchases (sign up for their email too as they often have 3 for 2 offers)

Jacqui

Kezzle
16-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Check out Tesco and Asda for pop-up tents, also Sainsburys. They have a great selection of outdoor toys at good prices. I would also register at your local Early Learning Centre, you will get 10% off your purchases (sign up for their email too as they often have 3 for 2 offers)

Jacqui

Thanks for the advice! I will look into that :)