PDA

View Full Version : failed

kellie1
30-04-2008, 07:28 PM
hello im new here.. im in the process of registering hopefully hear from ofsted by the end of the week. but the problem is i have just failed my ICP course i get to do it again in june, what i want to know is does ofsted put a hold on the registration and also if I fail the nxt time ive been told I wont get another chance ever. Does it mean i cant childmind.(IM NOT PLANNING ON FAILING THE NEXT TIME) please help I cant beleive i failed but i have.

kellie:( :(

sarah707
30-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh hun! I feel for you!

First of all, I think you need to contact Ofsted and let them know the situation... 08456 404040... only they can tell you if they are prepared to put your registration on hold.

Next you need to talk to your tutor and find out why you failed so you can revise properly next time... it might have been something really simple that you can check out and fix easily.

But yes, if you fail again, you cannot be a childminder... sorry! :(

sarah32
30-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I failed my 1st Icp exam, just prepared myself alot for the 2nd time and passed. I think I failed because I didnt read the questions properly. Made sure I went over and over it again next time.:)

Im sure you will be fine.

disney
30-04-2008, 07:46 PM
oh just wanted to say that im sorry for you , cant really think of any advice better than what sarah has said to be honest . at least you have got another chance to do it again in june . and im sure you will be fine then

kellie1
30-04-2008, 07:49 PM
thankyou I will Knuckle down starting tomorrow and hopefully in june i will be back with a yippee!!!

thanks again

donnahay0
30-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh sorry to hear that.

A friend of mine has recently sat her ICP and she was worried that she would fail because she wasn't quite sure what some of the questions meant the way they worded it.

I am sure you will be fine next time - dont let it put you off.

bubbly
30-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Do you only get 2 attempts? I didn't know that.

A childminder friend of mine said she knew someone who'd failed a few times and was resitting it.

I'm pleased I didn't know when I did mine otherwise I would've been an even bigger wreck than I was :eek:

Good luck next time Kellie xxx

wendywu
30-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Im sure you will be fine next time.

The first time with any test is hard as you dont know what to expect, that is why they have mocks for exams. You have got between now and june to go over and over it.:idea: Any questions just ask on here, im not naming any names but they are all rather a bunch of know it alls:littleangel:

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Good luck with your resit of the ICP.

On a note of consolation a few established childminders did the ICP example on the Cache website and quite a few failed it and all on the same questions which were very ambiguous. So don't feel too disheartended about not passing first time.

Cazz
30-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear that Kellie I'm sure you will be fine in June as you will know what to expect. I'm feeling quite worried now as I am starting my ICP course on the 13th May. Was the exam really hard?

Thinking about it - on my letter of confirmation for the ICP course it lists the dates and the one for the exam it says in brackets optional. So is it compulsory to pass the exam to childmind or does it vary from area to area? I am actually on holiday the week of the exam and would have to sit it elsewhere but if its really difficult and I don't have to do it maybe I'll decide not to!

Blaze
30-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Nothing really to add apart from that when i did mine, quite a few failed as they answered the questions as parents rather then childcare professionals...maybe something to bear in mind? Good luck for next time!:)

SimplyLucy
01-05-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm not exactly quite sure what the ICP is....

Sorry for being dim, but I don't remember having to do it.

I had to do a 2 day foundation course and complete unit one of the Diploma in Homebased Childcare (is this the same thing?)

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi Babe, sorry to hear your bad news.

You do not have to sit the ICP exam, as long as you have been on the course that is all that is required of you.

When you were going to the ICP course did you remeber signing a form to say that you wanted to do the exam? We did, so the question was asked to the tutor of why we had to put our names down to do the exam and we were all told that you do not have to sit the exam, as long as you finish the course, that is all that matters.

I would still try again though, as you need the pass to do the rest of level 3 if you want to.

Good luck next time, and remember to really look hard at the questions, the answers lie in there. If the questions ask about safety, find the answer which is about safety, if the question is about behaviour look for the answer which about behaviour, etc. And don['t forget to fill in your answer form correctly. Someone on my course didn't fill in here name in pencil, therefore she got an automatic fail XX

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm not exactly quite sure what the ICP is....

Sorry for being dim, but I don't remember having to do it.

I had to do a 2 day foundation course and complete unit one of the Diploma in Homebased Childcare (is this the same thing?)

Yes that is the ICP (unit 1 of level 3 in homebased childcare) XX

MissTinkerbell
01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd also say read the questions carefully. I've got my exam in 3 weeks and was starting to panic :panic: (which is stupid I've got an Earky Years degree for flips sake :o ) so I went along to the NCMA site and have just done the sample test.

I passed but the ones I got wrong were the statement and reason questions and I realised that it was because I didn't read the answers correctly , if I had I would have got those right too.

Would second the fact that you should do it from a child care point of view rather than a parent because you're answers are different.

bubbly
01-05-2008, 09:59 AM
You do not have to sit the ICP exam, as long as you have been on the course that is all that is required of you
Really? That's not what I was told.

I had to pass the exam within 6 months of beginning minding. I wasn't given any other option. I had to pass as a legal requirement.

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, in my part of the woods you do not have to sit the exam it at all. Just finish the course. It must be different in different places. You are under a different authority to me.
Seems unfair though.

bubbly
01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, in my part of the woods you do not have to sit the exam it at all. Just finish the course. It must be different in different places. You are under a different authority to me.
Seems unfair though.
Anyone who sits & fails or who doesn't want to do the exam should move then :laughing:

Isn't it stupid where you have to pass in one location but don't even have to sit the exam in another. Complete madness considering we're all doing the same job. Nice to see consistency happening :D

Willowdancer
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
That is the same here - we were told that there's no requirement to actually pass the exam at the end of the course in order to register with Ofsted and in fact you don't actually even need to take the exam.

Our trainer said the only reason you need to pass the exam is if you're planning on doing the rest of the units or moving into other areas of childcare.

I'm confused now! (Easily done :eek: ) I plan on both taking the exam and passing it - just in case!!

littlesprogs
01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Seems unfair though.

Its the same in norfolk, we did not have to sit the exam. Most of us did though and i passed first time but it is not a requirement to pass the exam as long as you attend all the classes ofsted accept this.

deeb66
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I am really sorry to hear this Kellie

I am sure you will be ok next time!

button68
02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Really? That's not what I was told.

I had to pass the exam within 6 months of beginning minding. I wasn't given any other option. I had to pass as a legal requirement.

I have had to speak with Ofsted in this matter. I was on the ICP course in October and 2 weeks into it I realised I would be on holiday for the last week ...... the exam :eek:

I phoned Ofsted and they said no problem as it is a requirement that we do the course within the first 6 months but not a requirement that we pass or even take the test. They said I just needed a letter from the college saying that I have 100% attendance :thumbsup:

Having said that I am booked to take the exam in July as I thought another certificate (hopefully!!) in my protfolio wouldn't do any harm :D

jaja
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
good luck with next time.:) when i did the icp there wasnt an exam :clapping: it was an essay that i had three weeks to do it in, if it was an exam i would of failed, i get sooooo nervous before exams i end up being sick, so not good..

littlewonders
09-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Good Luck for when you re-sit in June.

I am not due to receive my results until June :eek: and I am weally scared!! :panic: lol.

childminder54
21-06-2008, 08:50 PM
sorry to hear you failed you will pass next time good luck.

veroncaxx

Heaven Scent
21-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I sat the last exam in Cheshire last may I was told on the night of the exam that it was the last time anyone would have to sit the exam - needless to say I felt well peeved but at least I passed.

I blame people failing it on the wording of the questions all the other cache childcare courses I taught on had far more straight forward questions at every level. I even had ex colleagues attempt the papers and they found it hard to see what they were getting at don't beat yourself up about it.