PDA

View Full Version : How do OFSTED work out space?

Jade89
11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi, I'm hoping to register as a childminder, only thing bugging me is I think my house is too small.. I live in a 2 bed terraced house with a small garden.

I've read that you need a double mattress size of free space for each child, would this be in each room or would it be over them all? I'm hoping to register it all.

For example..my dining room has enough space for 2 children, as does my living room. However the rooms are separate. Would this count as 4 children?

Sorry for the long winded question I'm confusing myself! Hope you can help!

Jade x

mumto3
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
I dont know how they work it out but one of my neighbours 3 doors away has a 2 bed terraced and shes allowed full numbers, im hoping for the same as im end terraced 3 bed so slightly bigger house and garden

rickysmiths
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
If you look in the EYFS Statutory Framework book it tells you in there somewhere the way they calculate the space per child.

They do not count kitchens , bathrooms, utility rooms or bedrooms in the calculation.

mumto3
12-06-2011, 09:41 AM
So would it be worked out on hallway, lounge and garden, thats all i got after deducting the others, my garden leads straight from lounge so im hoping to get an awning put directly outside there so can cover the patio in order to have free flow of indoors or outside

Katiekoo
12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a little 2 bed terraced house with a small garden and I was allowed full numbers.

muffins
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
EYFS says-

children under 2yrs- 3.5m sq

2yr olds- 2.5m sq

children 3-5yrs- 2.3m sq

includes indoor space, should be based on usable areas of rooms used by children (that is not storage areas, throughfares, cloakrooms, utility rooms, kitchens & toilets).

grindal
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a little 2 bed terraced house with a small garden and I was allowed full numbers.

When I read this post earlier I was gonna reply and say (like all things Ofsted related) I thought they worked it out a bit randomly.
Now I am convinced they do - as I live in a 4 bed detached house and am only registered for 5 :eek:

Helcatt
12-06-2011, 10:27 PM
This is what I was going to hunt out!

I have been allowed to use the dining room and the lounge and they are separate (one upstairs and one downstairs)

Hx

EYFS says-

children under 2yrs- 3.5m sq

2yr olds- 2.5m sq

children 3-5yrs- 2.3m sq

includes indoor space, should be based on usable areas of rooms used by children (that is not storage areas, throughfares, cloakrooms, utility rooms, kitchens & toilets).