PDA

View Full Version : so so nervous HELP

kriscross
10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
hi to all i have my first ofsted inspection on the 22nd june and im so nervous.
my problem is im nervous about the whole new career and also about giving my current job up i have money problems as it is at home and im just worried will it work out in the end or will i be worse off still by giving my job up.
I am 100 percent wanting to be a childminder so can stay at home with my own son and help familys with there children.
My partner has now decided to tell me he is worried about me wanting to do this as i will get no holiday or sick pay.
ARRR what do i do please help me xx

jelly-belly
10-06-2011, 09:10 AM
hi to all i have my first ofsted inspection on the 22nd june and im so nervous.
my problem is im nervous about the whole new career and also about giving my current job up i have money problems as it is at home and im just worried will it work out in the end or will i be worse off still by giving my job up.
I am 100 percent wanting to be a childminder so can stay at home with my own son and help familys with there children.
My partner has now decided to tell me he is worried about me wanting to do this as i will get no holiday or sick pay.
ARRR what do i do please help me xx

Hi, I'm in the very same situation as yourself, wanting to do this and not wanting my 3 year old in school nursery 10 hrs a day with her 2 other siblings. I've still got my forms here at home still, I've already completed my first-aid. Hubby no help at all with decisions. We have lived on one wage for 10 years now between us as both (took career breaks) but we need extra money again and I don't know it this will cover what I would get going back to work. At least I've got till November to decide what to do. We will both have some sleepless nights ahead.:panic: :panic:

julie w
10-06-2011, 09:17 AM
It is a big step. I only had one child to begin with, but I did have an increase in tax credits which helped. It was so worth it for me to keep going and to build up a business with a good income and one to be proud of. At my very first inspection (tho to be honest it was pre-ofsted) they were brilliant. I wasn't put down for anything, but helped to make sure i had or would be having everything in place that was required of me.Anything that wasn't quite right they just advised me to put it in place and I promised to do it. As for sick pay and holiday pay, it depends on how you have planned to charge parents. I don't charge if I am sick, but in 11 years I have only been too ill to work 3 times. It makes me realise how much I must have skived off in my last job. :blush: When I started I charged half for their holidays and half for mine so I always had an income. I have only just started to charge full for their holidays and nothing for mine because that seems to work for me now. You could even work out payments over a full year inc yours and their holidays, divide into 52 weeks and charge the same amount every week regardless of holidays. It is a daunting prospect starting out on your own but with commitment (and maybe just a few frustrated tears!) you will get there and it will be so worth it. Good luck. xxx

The Juggler
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
i've left a job where I had fab holiday and sick pay ....but I worked through every lunch hour, never took time off sick and in the end work made me ill which is why I left:laughing: :laughing:

seriously I understand the worries but keep yourself healthy (and fit) watch your back to protect yourself with all that lifting. I've only had 1 sick day off in 6 1/2 years - that's not to say I've not been ill but that was the only time I needed to go to bed for the day.

Holiday pay, you can charge for your hols if you want. However, people are seeming to lean towards not charging now. Its up to you. If you don't charge, put a bit of money away each month to cover you when you are away.

Don't worry, go for it if it's what you want to do. Don't worry too mcuh about being sick/on holiday.

Jiorjiina
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Hubby no help at all with decisions. We have lived on one wage for 10 years now between us as both (took career breaks) but we need extra money again and I don't know it this will cover what I would get going back to work. At least I've got till November to decide what to do. We will both have some sleepless nights ahead.:panic: :panic:

But if you went back to work, you would need to pay childcare costs.

You probably will be better off as a childminder, since you might not earn the salary you would at work, but you also won't have to pay for childcare. And you can build your business up so that when your children are older, you can start earning more and more.