PDA

View Full Version : How much do I need to do before Ofsted visit?

Amoire
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I am currently on the pre reg course and starting to prepare my house. I am pregnant with my first child due Jan 2012 and want to register just before the baby so when I finish maternity I can start Childminding. However I have nothing at the moment and everything we will be buying will be baby based. I am worried about preparing my house for ofsted and for all ages of children.
When ofsted come will I need to have a lot of toys, activities and equipment? Or do I just need general safety equipment?
If any one can outline exactly what I need to do to my house before ofsted that would be great! Thank you!

13Katrina
15-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Congratulations.

I'm in the same position as yourself - my baby is due in February.

I've completed my CYPOP 5, my first aid and safeguarding.

I have a support session next week for my ofsted application, crb check and medical. I'm hoping they'll point me in the right direction.

Good luck.

Katrina x

the_nanny_uk2
15-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi to you both,

A good idea would be to keep a scrapbook of cuttings from Argos, ELC and ToysRus showing what oys you are thinking of getting for the children, also books, paints etc etc if you are only going to have baby stuff initially. Our co-ordinator told one of my collegues that this will be acceptable as it shows them you have thought about what to do and have a plan. Although if it was me I'd still get a few things in. You certainly dont need the whole lot when just starting up as it is expensive. Try going to car boot sales and picking bits up from there.

Goodluck with the pregnancy xx

Jiorjiina
15-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I mainly have a list of things I would get depending on the ages of the children I will be asked to care for.

I have bought some toys and books and things, partly because I couldn't resist, and partly because they will be good for basically any age.

I think mostly you have to know what you might need, what you will need (and since you'll have a baby, you will have most of the safety stuff anyway), and what things about your house you will need to work on to make it safe (stuff like low windows, a greenhouse, a pond, fencing, animal poo clearing, poisonous plants, etc).

It should all be covered in your pre-reg meetings and your intro course. Activities can just be things like back garden games, going for a walk, jigsaws, or painting and cooking. They don't have to be expensive or bought. You can find loads by just using google. (Or looking on here in the resources section!)

Kezzle
15-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Congratulations.

I'm in the same position as yourself - my baby is due in February.

I've completed my CYPOP 5, my first aid and safeguarding.

I have a support session next week for my ofsted application, crb check and medical. I'm hoping they'll point me in the right direction.

Good luck.

Katrina x

Hi,

If you don't mind me observing, you can't be very far along in pregnancy if your due february? How many weeks are you and when did you discover the good news? I'm curious as I'm kind of trying to concieve. It'll be my first if and when i do.

Amoire: I too am looking for idea's as to what to have in ready. I don't think toys is a big issue if you can show what you'd like for what ages etc. I've hardly got anything and i don't have tonnes of cash to go wasting money guessing. My main concerns at the moment will be to toddler proof the house and finish all the odd jobs that need doing.

13Katrina
16-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi,

If you don't mind me observing, you can't be very far along in pregnancy if your due february? How many weeks are you and when did you discover the good news? I'm curious as I'm kind of trying to concieve. It'll be my first if and when i do.

Amoire: I too am looking for idea's as to what to have in ready. I don't think toys is a big issue if you can show what you'd like for what ages etc. I've hardly got anything and i don't have tonnes of cash to go wasting money guessing. My main concerns at the moment will be to toddler proof the house and finish all the odd jobs that need doing.

Hi Kezzle,

You are right, I'm not very far along, I'm five weeks pregnant. I have a 25 day cycle and I found out when my period was four days late on Monday, just gone. I used a regular home pregnancy test which was positive. Plus lots of the usual pregnancy symptoms - totally shattered, sore breasts and feeling a bit sick (but haven't actually been sick) and disrupted bowel movements (which I had with my first pregnancy). I have the inherited trait beta thalassemia - this doesn't usually cause me a problem but when I'm pregnant I can become very anemic. I was monitored by a consultant last time, so I've already booked in with the midwife.

Hopefully all will go well - it is early days, so you never know how things may turn out. I was planning to conceive, so if anything did go wrong, I would be trying again straight away. But anyway, so far so good.

Kezzle
16-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Kezzle,

You are right, I'm not very far along, I'm five weeks pregnant. I have a 25 day cycle and I found out when my period was four days late on Monday, just gone. I used a regular home pregnancy test which was positive. Plus lots of the usual pregnancy symptoms - totally shattered, sore breasts and feeling a bit sick (but haven't actually been sick) and disrupted bowel movements (which I had with my first pregnancy). I have the inherited trait beta thalassemia - this doesn't usually cause me a problem but when I'm pregnant I can become very anemic. I was monitored by a consultant last time, so I've already booked in with the midwife.

Hopefully all will go well - it is early days, so you never know how things may turn out. I was planning to conceive, so if anything did go wrong, I would be trying again straight away. But anyway, so far so good.

Aw good luck with your pregnancy, hope it all goes nice and smoothly for you. :)