PDA

View Full Version : Retainer fees

Mrs M
30-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi,
I've had an enquiry to look after a child from September. The parents are coming round on Sunday for a meeting so I want to be 100% sure what I'm talking about. If they want to secure a place with me they'll need to pay a retainer but how much should I charge them? They're only looking at part time care. If I was to charge £100 to secure the place, how does that sound?
Also, I'm going to do some holiday cover for a childminder - do I get the mother to sign a contract with me for the time I'll be minding her children?
Thanks for your advice.
Emma

Tatia
30-04-2008, 03:08 PM
If you charge a one-off fee to hold the place, that's a deposit. I'd make it non-refundable and they can use it towards their first or last weeks fees.

And yes, I always do contracts, even for holiday cover. You can use a short-term contract.

Tatia
30-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry meant to add that as for the amount of the deposit, I'd make it one week's worth of money.

Pipsqueak
30-04-2008, 03:11 PM
If you charge a one-off fee to hold the place, that's a deposit. I'd make it non-refundable and they can use it towards their first or last weeks fees.

And yes, I always do contracts, even for holiday cover. You can use a short-term contract.

I would draw up some paperwork relating to the deposit and non refundable nature and both parents and you sign - give them a copy as well.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Always get a contract... even for a day! Do you have a short-term one? :D

katickles
30-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah i'm with Tatia on this one :)

Mrs M
30-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi,
Thanks very much for your advice.
No Sarah, I only have the full contracts from NCMA. Where can I get short term contracts from?
Emma

sarah707
30-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I didn't realise you were with ncma - you should have one of theirs then... I wonder how fast they could get you some out?

Otherwise do you know anyone locally who would loan you one until yours came through? :D

Mrs M
30-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh I shall contact NCMA then. No, I don't know anyone locally who can loan me one. Can we make our own?