PDA

View Full Version : 1st parent contact

ozzy10
06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi

I am just in the process of registering and I thought I would advertise to no ready for when I'm registered and I've just had a phone call from a mum asking if I could mind her children.

They are 9 & 6 and it would just be after school starting in September, there wouldnt be any need for me to have them in the holidays either. Mum has asked price etc but i wasn't sure what to say? She has asked to come and see the setting asap which is fine although we are in the process of getting it ready for when I mind I have explained this to her and she seemed happy enough.

I'm excited and nervous and don't know what to do!

After all my waffling my main questions really are do I charge more as it is only term time after school? and what info should I give her when she comes round?

miffy
06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
If you are intending to work school holidays then it would be reasonable to ask for a retainer during them (you can't ask for a retainer for any time you are not available to work) or you could charge a slightly higher rate during term-time and nothing in the holidays - it really is up to you.

If you can check out rates with local childminders and other competition like after school clubs - you don't want to price yourself out of the market.

Good luck

Miffy xx

ozzy10
07-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi

Thank you for your reply. I do intend to work holidays. I think a retainer maybe better so I have at least a little money all year.

There are two other childminders in my village and seem priced quite far apart one is £3.25 an hour and the other is £4, but both are full. Mum has said they are booked in to the after school club but she prefers to use childminders as they are more flexible? I'm starting to wonder if they could be more trouble than its worth just for term time, but its my 1st enquiry.

X

miffy
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm assuming then she's using the after school club in the holidays?

If that's the case then she probably won't be willing to pay you a retainer.

I'd be a bit wary about the "more flexible" comment - yes we are but we still have a living to make.

Do you know how much the after school club charges? Maybe you could pitch your prices to compete with that and see if you can persuade her to use you all year round, if that's what you want.

Meet her and the children first, then trust your instincts :)

Good luck

Miffy xx