PDA

View Full Version : still doing up the house!

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi all, sorry you probably wont recognise me, i joined in feb but i have not really spoken to anyone... im a lurker :)
anyway, i need to ask you something, if you can help...
i havnt even started my long road to childminding as my back garden is still a black hole at the mo,
can you tell me whats best with my garden? i have a small patio and the rest is mud... do i go completly grassed or can i still have a pretty garden (i am gardeners daughter, i love my gardens) with a bit of nice gravel and plants?
also, i have been told by another childminder that my dogs wont be a problem... she doesnt own any, so im not sure what to think! any dog owners out there?
i probably posted this in the wrong place but i am a new starter and want everything to a good standard before visits etc.

please help,
Jo

caza
30-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Jo, I'm glad you brought this up. I am in exactly the same position as you. I have started the registration process properly yet and my garden is also my main concern. We have a lovely big garden with plenty of grass area. Problem is we have quite a few flowerbeds which were there before we moved in and since neither me nor my husband are gardeners they are overgorwn with weeds. Do Ofsted consider weeds to be a problem? I like to think of the weeds as wild flowers personally :rolleyes:

We also have dogs. Ours live outside and they have a large outdoor kennel which they can be shut into when needed. So I hope they wont cause a problem.

Anyway sorry I have been no help what so ever just thought I'd say you not the only one with dogs and a more natural looking garden shall we say :D

Caroline

Ruth Gray
30-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi, Jo!
I think that it's lovely that you want to have a 'pretty' garden! If I were you I would still do all of your plant pots etc...perhaps putting them at the side so as not to be smack in the middle of the play area. You will probably earn extra brownie points with Ofsted if you were to show then that you would be giving your mindees opportunities to plant plants, flowers etc...
Alternatively, you could choose NOT to register your garden at all, although if you have a nice garden it would be such a shame not to use it.
I don't have any pets, but my friend who is also a registered childminder has a dog and that hasn't been a problem for her. As a condition of her registration however, she has to make sure that the children are NEVER alone with the dog at any time. Some parents prefer childminders that have a pet as it gives their own children a chance to play with animals that they might otherwise not have.

Hope this helps!! :)

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:25 AM
well im hoping my partner will finish building his 'workshop' so the dogs will have a huge out house (haha who am i kidding! i will have to hire someone!)
my dogs are as good as gold but Zaks bark puts people off so i am really scared they will say no when they see him - he is only a small terrior and has never hurt a fly. :( if they do say no then i will not be a childminder, :(

i cant wait to do this garden up... going to take a while though :eek:

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi, Jo!
I think that it's lovely that you want to have a 'pretty' garden! If I were you I would still do all of your plant pots etc...perhaps putting them at the side so as not to be smack in the middle of the play area. You will probably earn extra brownie points with Ofsted if you were to show then that you would be giving your mindees opportunities to plant plants, flowers etc...
Alternatively, you could choose NOT to register your garden at all, although if you have a nice garden it would be such a shame not to use it.
I don't have any pets, but my friend who is also a registered childminder has a dog and that hasn't been a problem for her. As a condition of her registration however, she has to make sure that the children are NEVER alone with the dog at any time. Some parents prefer childminders that have a pet as it gives their own children a chance to play with animals that they might otherwise not have.

Hope this helps!! :)

that actually makes me feel a lot better!
the garden is most deffo being done, kids need fresh air... my son needs it too - he is almost 3 now and is dying to get out there to play on his bike!
my dogs are my shadows and are by my side constantly, but i would NEVER dream of leaving them with children they dont know... they adore my son but still... never to careful here! i had a nasty accident with a alsation as a child, that will always stick with me, so im always warey (warey? is that even a word?!) :)

angeldelight
30-04-2008, 11:30 AM
It sounds lovely having some garden for your flowers and why ever not

Here is a list of plants that are dangerous

http://www.northerngrid.org/ngflwebsite/cjearlyyears/EarlyYears/Towntrail.htm

I have a dog so if you make sure you are aware of any dangers etc and have a policy for them it will be ok

You can see a policy on the Bromley website under " pet policy "

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

Hope that helps - good luck

Angel xx

caza
30-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Same here. Our oldest dog is a barker and although he is soft as muck and loves nothing more than a good fuss his bark often makes people think he is being aggresive but in actual fact he loves meeting new people and thats his way of getting their attention

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:31 AM
i forgot to add,
my partner built harrison (my son) a big wooden veg box, for him to grow veggies in, its at my mums house but he said he will build more for all the kids. im pretty sure they would love it :)

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank you for the links! thats really useful :D
thanks everyone, i could kiss you all! i feel so much happier now i have spoken to you all:blush:

Cammie Doodle
30-04-2008, 11:34 AM
I have various thing in my garden decking, bark,trees ,plants pots etc . You just need to let Ofsted know you are aware of hazards etc in your Risk ass. I also had a dog until 2 yrs ago and it was never a prob, again in your risk ass say you are aware of potential dangers risks etc. They seem to be happy (ish) if you pinpoint the risks and say how you would over come them.
Hope this helps?
June

pixiejo
30-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks June, that does help a great deal :D

Teresa
30-04-2008, 12:22 PM
i have two mindee's that parents chose me because i have a dog and they don't have one because they are out all day so it would not be fair on the dog. but they wanted the mindee's to have the experience of having a dog around them and the care involved in having one.

sarah707
30-04-2008, 01:16 PM
My garden is a mixture - patio (new and still a bit wet), grass (mud bath), some hard standing for bikes, chalking etc and a small barked area for the little ones with tree stumps to climb on and a slide, Wendy house etc...

I then have a box full of balls, bats and other garden toys, but we bring a lot out from inside as well. I just need a table for my patio and some chairs now.. . can't wait until it's all together :D

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Can't help with advise on the garden but I am lucky in the fact that I have a large back garden (want to concrete/surface half of it) to make it usable all year round and my aim is to have flowers, etc in the front garden. No animals myself but would think you will need to risk assess and have some kind of policy to pets.