PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish Toys

Tealady
03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Is it just me or are alot of toys these days a load of rubbish?

My DD (5½) and DS (20mnths) get spoilt rotten by my sister and Mum (but that's another issue:mad: ) However nothing seemes to work like it should, or breaks really easily and they are both good with their toys.

For instance, Nanny bought DD a Zooble, doesn't close up properly. Nanny bought DS a Tomy thing where you are supposed to hit balls through holes and the cars shoot out. Doesn't work properly (we took one back and the second isn't much better). Aunty bought DD a Schnook can't comb it's hair that well and the accesories fall apart. DD has playsets where the bits don't stand up properly. DS had a Thomas train thing that's supposed to go round a wheel but funnily enough that doesn't always work. Cheap puzzles are another bug bear.

The more sturdy traditional toys, lego, that me and DH choose for them and that I get for my minding are OK but is just all this other stuff that just seems a load of :censored: .

Sorry for the rant but I am still seething from DD's tantrum because she can't get something to work. Feel like getting a big black sack.....

mumto3
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I LOVE wooden toys, we had alot of them in the nursery and they last too, its what I will be buying alot of when I start minding, alot of the plastic toys that dont do much I refuse to buy my kiddies for bdays/xmas as they dont last and they lose interest in them after a short time, at least with things like lego u can re-create lots of different things with it and the imagination can run wild with it unlike these plastic battery operated toys

The old classics are always the best

SandCastles
03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I know just what you mean, I go round with a black bag and in they all go. I put this in my cupboard and wait for one of them to ask for their recently bought toy, or recently played with and broke toy. If they ask for it then it comes out of the bag, if not it stays in until I decide to donate to charity, do a car boot sale or put in wheelie bin.
The only thing that makes me angry is that my parents keep buying this stuff, thinking that they are spoiling their grandchildren. Will need to carefully presuade them to start giving them weekly pocket money and no more toys, this way they can save for a better more reliable toy and I won't have the headache of a broken toy every week.
A friend asked me if I had heard of Zooble and if they were any good, she left with 5 of them in her pocket. She txt me later saying her DD was in tears as they keep breaking and won't fold back up, and do I want them back! no a gift is a gift she can decide what to do with them.
Sorry my rant is longer than yours. time for a coffee and a Kalm tablet.