PDA

View Full Version : First parent visit on thursday - any advice?

jojo123
31-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I have recently registered, and have the mum of my first potential mindee (15 months old) coming for a visit on Thursday :) I am really pleased, but also rather nervous as it will be my first proper contact with potential customer!

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to carry out the meeting - what I need to tell her/show her?

Thanks, Jo

sarah707
31-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Relax and be yourself!

Get out toys for the child and spend time focussing on the child and his needs.

Chat to parents about the ways you will look after the child and ask lots of questions about the child and his needs.

Take parents and child on a walk round of the house and garden... and answer questions.

Good luck! :D

JoJo*
02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Im new to this too - i had my first meeting last week - they still havent contacted me?? - They wasnt interested in looking round my house (they were shocked when i said to meet at mine so they can see the setting) think they wanted me to go to them? and when their little girl did go to get the toys out she was told they were going soon so leave them alone..... ??? maybe they didnt like the look of me :blush: ? they seemed happy with all my questions and answers but didnt really talk about their child more about me and other children? maybe its a good thing ive not heard but its made me a bit scared for the next one now???:panic:
Hope you have more luck... :thumbsup:

jojo123
03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
oh dear that doesn't sound like the ideal first visit, perhaps they are a bit unsure of what to expect from a childminder?
My parent postponed til monday, so hopefully it'll go ok!

Greengrass74
04-06-2011, 07:48 AM
What others have said plus make them feel welcomed and relaxed, they will be nervous as well. We make sure that all paperwork/portfolio is at hand as there is nothing worse than having to go and find something.

Make them feel that you understand that leaving their child with someone that they don't really know is a massive step and that you will work with them to ensure the settling in period is tailored to the childs (and parents) needs.

Lots of talk about the child, after all he/she is the most important thing to them.

Just try and be relaxed and confident, not always easy, but does get easier, be proud of your setting and qualifications as you have worked hard to get where you are.

Good luck hope it goes ok.

The Juggler
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
when I was new I was so concerned about impressing parent I completely forgot to interact with child until near end of meeting when I mentally kicked myself up the bum to do so.:panic: :laughing:

relax ask if they'd like to ask questions or for you to tell them a bit about you and how you work. then go with the flow but make sure before they leave you go over imp. deciding factors like your fees, payments sickness policies - they are always the ones that cause problems later on when people say they 'didnt' know' :rolleyes:

gingerella
06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I think with the right parents and child for you, you will click and it will be obvious. Try not to think it is all about impressing them but they need to be right for you too. And don't take it personally if parents don't end up using you (easier said than done, I know!).

Good luck :)