PDA

View Full Version : Hi New to this ...

tinks carer
29-05-2011, 08:59 PM
So was wondering if i can have a few pointers on how to get started .....

i had thought about doing childminding many yrs ago .but my husband was in the army and i didnt think it was fair for me to take on children then have to let them go !

Now i have had 4 children of my own and the youngest is 2 yrs and i would like to give it ago

How do i get started and how long will it take for me to become a childminder .

thank you for your advice .:thumbsup:

newbie1512
30-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi and welcome

The best thing you can do first in get in touch with your local council and family information service (FIS) and see if they are running the information evenings in your area, I believe in some areas there are either no evenings or long waiting lists due to the budget cuts.

Its quite a long process, on the info evening you will be given the application forms. Then you need to be paediatric first aid trained and its desirable (not compulsory I believe) to hold a food hygiene cert.

You will be required to attend a registration course, again waiting lists can be long and I think I saw o post on here they may not be funded anymore depending on your neck of the woods, best to ask

Crb's can take quite a while to complete too.

Get on here as much as you can for help/advice, I would have really struggled without the lovely people on here

I was registered beginning of this month and it took 9 months, but so worth the effort and wait :D

pm me if you would like any help with paperwork:)

I know it sounds like a lot of waiting but once you get into it, it goes quite quickly and like I said, im soooo glad I did it

Good luck :thumbsup:

tulip0803
30-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Agree with Newbie.

Each county does things slightly different then each country (England/Wales/Scotland/NI) have different registration bodies and standards to work to.

First port of call is the local council FIS who, as Newbie said, will tell you about any breifing sessions coming up and that will explain the whole process in your area.

Good Luck

tinks carer
31-05-2011, 09:46 PM
thank you for your advice will let you know how i get on .:thumbsup:

tinks carer
01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
i have a briefing on the 18th july

then i can enrol if i wish to ( which i will of course :laughing: )

can anybody give me an insight to what its all about please and if i need to take anything with me .