PDA

View Full Version : Working for friends prior to registration?

Madmum3
29-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Hi
I am completely new, just about to attend my pre registration 2 hr intro session and planning on setting up as childminder. Our county states it takes approx 6 months from this session to registration. So that would be Dec.
From what I understand you do not need to register as a childminder "..to provide care for friends children in return for any other goods or services, so long as no money changes hands"
So if I have a friend who wants me to look after her under 1 when she returns to work in October for two days a week can I look after that baby prior to my registration coming through so long as no money changes hands? What I am thinking is that we will keep a log of hours and the amount of money I would charge when I am registered and she could, for example buy me a laptop for my business or some toys and equipment (or wine:laughing:)
Then later when I am hopefully registered (I am aware this can take longer than they state and is not a foregone conclusion) we can turn this into a monetary arrangement:clapping:
My friend and I both know that I would not be insured until registered and if we are both happy with this arrangement can anyone see any problem with it?
Very keen to stay the right side of the authorities from the start!
Any advice gratefully received

mumto3
29-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I havent a clue but im sure someone will help soon, i have a friend that asked me to have her LO when she goes bak to work fulltime next week but shes signed up with someone else and if i do go ahead with it and register then she may start with me

Cammie Doodle
29-05-2011, 12:35 PM
sorry but you can't care for a child for any sort of reward (ie laptop). Maybe your friend could use other childcare short term until your up and running ?

Madmum3
29-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi thanks for the replies
Are you sure that you cant work for friends for reward eg laptop?
I was quoting from Ofsted document dated April 2011 "Guide to registration on the Early Years Register: childminder"
At para 7 it states
You do not need to register as a childminder if you:
long list including eg are grandparent of child you are looking after and the 8th bullet point on the list states:
"make recipricol arrangements with friends, or provide care for friends children in return for any other goods or services, so long as no money changes hands
This is specifically referring to the Early Years Register.
I was thinking the point was that it was OK if it was a friends child and was planning on very strictly ensuring no money changed hands!
Any help gratefully received:)

Pauline
30-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi

There is a specific Ofsted document about this, I put a copy in the free downloads a little while ago, you can find it here:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/childmindingbetweenfriends.html

Hope that helps :)

newbie1512
30-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Personally I wouldnt do it.

I did similar, whilst in pre-reg I agree to look after my friends little one whilst she started her new job. All was well at the start, I picked him up and dropped off each day, gave him his meals/snacks and drinks, took him to various places and did not take a penny off her. We had mutually arranged to charge her a little extra each month when I was registered to cover some of my expense, I dew up a contract between us stating this and that I had no insurance and she was fully aware of this, we both signed.

Then... The day I was registered I called her all excited to tell her and the response I got was "thats great but I have been putting him into a nursery a couple of evenings a week so he is going there full time and I dont need you".. As I said this was from a friend

So I would really think about it, I lost a good friend because of this, would hate for somebody else to go through the same

princess-c1984
31-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi, I think as long as you dont exchange money or accepts gifts etc whilst your not reqistered it should be fine (I mean that's what the ofsted link is saying that you posted)
Have you tried calling Ofsted to see what they say?
Let us know if you do as itll be nice to know what the real situation is!x

The Juggler
31-05-2011, 01:44 PM
personally hon, i would steer clear of working for friends (for reward or not). I would use the legislatioin as a way of gently turning her down.:thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
31-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Working for friends has a habit of going very wrong so be careful.

If you really want to care for the child do it in their home not yours and its ok (although obviously you wont be insured etc).

mummyMia
31-05-2011, 03:37 PM
As mentioned above, I would be worried about her changing her mind. It can take much much longer than 6 months to register and even if your friend has all the best intentions in mind now a lot can change in that time. She might become pregnant, lose her job, move away, change her mind, find a relative to do it for free, etc... All the while you will have been paying for meals and outings out of your own pocket & working for nothing. If you were very close to being registered then it might be worth the risk but you are only just starting the process and have a long way to go.

Blackcat
02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
my advice : DON'T DO IT!

Louise0208
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
my advice : DON'T DO IT!

im with you :thumbsup:

braichey
05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I have done this. For the past 6 months I have been looking after her little boy who is now one. We had a really goo chat before hand and she provided lunch, Nappies etc so I wasn't out if pocket and as I have a daughter who is 2 anywhere I wa going to go anyway he came with me. It was nice to test out my policies n stuff on her as she is a teaher in eyfs too so the reciprical bit j get from her is support and help emotionally and physically if I need her to have my kids. As I am now registered she wil be contracted and have all my policies as per any other mum. I still consider her my bestfriend and our relationship has only got better as we have mutual respect of each others positions. I think if you really talk about it and explore all possibilities verbally then you should be ok, you could agree a higher rate when you start for the first 12 months or so but I agree you should not take any kind of payment or goods as it may be confused. Grandparents do this after all and I consider my bf extended family. It worked out for me but j have a great friend, I suppose it depends on your relationship and how you can lay your cards on the table without getting your fingers burnt. Goodluck.x

steedie
05-06-2011, 04:56 PM
One of my oldest and closest friends looked ater my middle daughter whilst she was awaiting registration. By the time she was registered and ready to mind, our contract only ran 4 weeks as I was off on maternity but it worked out so well. She too tried everything out on me first and I gave her a parents point of view for many things. I paid her once she was registered for the 1 day a week that she'd had dd2 for, back pay, which became a 'non refundable deposit' for a short term contract.

Now my dd2 has an amazing relationship with her and it's lovely to see dd2 in her company. Nothings changed and if anything, its tightened our bond,

Go with your gut instinct and if you feel your firnedship can handle it, go with it but if you have any inkling or dubt, stay on the cautious side maybe?

Rhiannon