PDA

View Full Version : Childminding with another job?

Heidihi
29-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi there,

I've decided to go part time (weekends only) at my workplace so i can spend more time with my son.
I would like to look after my friend's 2 kids for 3+ days of the week, she'll be paying me. I understand that when you take payment you must register as a childminder.
Would this be ok even though I have another job? I know that it should be ok with my employers as they have authorised others to start cab driving etc.
But how do ofsted look upon it, and does it become very complicated tax wise?
It would be a shame if I could not look after my friend's kids as they already know me, my home and my son and of course the extra money would help me out...is anyone else in the same situation?

Leaving my job isn't really an option because i'd like to go full time there again in a few years when my son is at school.

sarah707
29-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Lots of childminders have 2 jobs... it's not a problem and tax isn't that complicated... you just have to keep careful accounts through the year.

It can take a while to get registered, so this isn't an immediate fix for your friend if she's having childcare problems...

You should ring your local CIS for more advice - they'll point you in the right direction... and of course have a good nosey round the forum! :D

angeldelight
30-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

deeb66
30-04-2008, 08:41 AM
When I first started I worked in Tesco from 6.30 - midnight 3 nights a week and did 4 - 10 on Saturday evenings.

I think I carried on doing this for nearly a year before it started to get too much so had to give it up.

I didn't have any problems.......but then that was 10 years ago :D