PDA

View Full Version : EYFS at this stage???

BlondeMoment
28-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi there,

I know we're required to do EYFS observations etc until 31st August following their 5th birthday. Well I've just started minding a little girl in reception class for just an hour before and after school for two days a week. She won't be coming in the holidays as her Mum works as a teacher so I won't see her throughout August. That means I only have June and July to complete the Development Matters and try and do some observations! After school is a manic time with getting homework done and getting them all fed before they're picked up. How on earth am I supposed to do this on this little girl. Do I bother when she is almost at the end of Reception year anyway?
what would you do?

Rubybubbles
28-05-2011, 12:02 PM
YES you are required by law to follow eyfs!

Make it simple! can she do her shoes and coat? How does she interact with the other children in the setting? obs on crafty things. for 2 days a week I would do one ob a week, photos links everywhere:thumbsup:

I don't do homework with lo's (well don't have any in school:laughing: ) but whats the work about, I am sure it will link, readying ect:thumbsup:

alison
28-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I was advised by a county early Years Advisor, that as the school is the main provider of EYFS as the child is there full time, they are responsible for it all, but that I should just do a mini ob on her every half term more if I wished, but just in a diary form, and try to share it with the school.

I use mainly photos of her doing something and add information to it, photocopy and give to the class teacher, just as I did when she was in nursery.

All my mindies are at independent school and you never get to see the teacher as they all come home on the school coach and I meet them at the bus stop 7 miles from school!

I only mind term time only and they are all school teachers children from the senior dept.of the junior school.

BlondeMoment
28-05-2011, 12:18 PM
YES you are required by law to follow eyfs!

Make it simple! can she do her shoes and coat? How does she interact with the other children in the setting? obs on crafty things. for 2 days a week I would do one ob a week, photos links everywhere:thumbsup:

I don't do homework with lo's (well don't have any in school:laughing: ) but whats the work about, I am sure it will link, readying ect:thumbsup:

Yeah I can link reading without too many problems. Shoes and coat is all good. She plays with all the other children. CD is a problem as there is no time for crafts and things at that time of day. PSRN is very hard too as is KUW.

Its more that the time of day is so hectic and I only have her for such a short amount of time that by time I've done homework with my other schoolies, she's picked up.
It's a nightmare

BlondeMoment
28-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I'll be so glad come September when I'll have two of them off the EYFS altogether! Less paper work! Woo hoo! I currently have 7 of em on it!

sweets
28-05-2011, 12:44 PM
unless your inspection is due over the next couple of months then personally i wouldn't bother doing EYFS on this mindee.

i know i am probably going to get tutted at for saying it tho :rolleyes: :laughing:

BlondeMoment
28-05-2011, 01:28 PM
unless your inspection is due over the next couple of months then personally i wouldn't bother doing EYFS on this mindee.

i know i am probably going to get tutted at for saying it tho :rolleyes: :laughing:

My thoughts exactly. Ofsted not dues for another 3 years lol. :littleangel:

FussyElmo
28-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Even though ofsted are not due - I dont think that they would expect you to have realms of obs on this child.

I have mindees over EYFS and they still get their own scrapbook with what we have been doing - ok it is no where as detailed as the ljs I but the parents like them and so do the mindees.

Hebs
28-05-2011, 03:06 PM

nor would i,
at most i would just take photos of her doing different activities and keeping some of her artwork :thumbsup:

miffy
28-05-2011, 04:18 PM

I would just make a few notes on what she can do and take a few photos. Keep it very simple.

Miffy xx

sonia ann
28-05-2011, 06:48 PM
No I would not do anything special for such a short time.
I have just taken on a brother and sister one day a week 8-4 term time only.
The little boy is 19mths and is with me 8am-4pm and I am doing him a full diary and "journey " with obs and planning etc
His sister I take to preschool at 8.30am and collect her at 3.30pm the rest of the time is spent in the car or walking to and from school.
Although she is in eyfs I am not doing anything for her and I will argue my case to Ofsted if challenged.

catswhiskers
28-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I also wouldn't do anything major for such a short time.

I'm just about to lose two of my mindees (bruv and sis). I've looked after sis since 6 months old (she's now 4 and a half). Bruv is 2 and a half and I've looked after for 18 months.

Between them I have 10 folders (yes 10 but I go a bit mad with my daily diary).

Mum told me she will be losing her job so I have these two till end July.

If ofsted don't come before then well it's all been a waste of time really as they won't want to see previous mindees' folders.

My last inspection was over 3 and a half years ago and I'm thinking of phoning Ofsted to demand one!

Rubybubbles
29-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I also wouldn't do anything major for such a short time.

I'm just about to lose two of my mindees (bruv and sis). I've looked after sis since 6 months old (she's now 4 and a half). Bruv is 2 and a half and I've looked after for 18 months.

Between them I have 10 folders (yes 10 but I go a bit mad with my daily diary).

Mum told me she will be losing her job so I have these two till end July.

If ofsted don't come before then well it's all been a waste of time really as they won't want to see previous mindees' folders. My last inspection was over 3 and a half years ago and I'm thinking of phoning Ofsted to demand one!

please don't see it as a waste of time!!!! You have helped the children in their learning! I know the paperwork gets very busy, hey I know I have a huge turn around due to living on an RAF base (people move in and out all the time) the longest I have ever had anyone is 14 months so far! BUT for me the journal isn't for Ofsted it's for me to see and help the child:thumbsup: