PDA

View Full Version : what would you use instead of goats cheese?

kindredspirits
28-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I am doing dinner for DH on monday as its his birthday - for a starter i am making a balsamic onion and 'goats cheese' tart - except I can't eat goats cheese due to being pregnant and i don't think DH would like it very much anyway.

Would you replace it with a cheese like feta or would you replace the sour tang with creme fraiche???

The Juggler
28-05-2011, 12:25 PM
hon it's only unpasteurized cheese that is a problem - I think?? I am sure you might be able to get pasteurized goats cheese these days.

if not, anysort of soft cheese that comes in pasteurized form.:) sounds yummy

Louise0208
28-05-2011, 12:37 PM
i ate goats cheese while pregnant....it wasnt in my 'do not eat :rolleyes: ' lists

how about a mixture of cheeses for added flavour & texture?

kindredspirits
28-05-2011, 02:18 PM
this is the info i have:

These cheeses are not safe for you while you're pregnant:

•Soft, mould-ripened cheeses, such as brie, camembert and chevre (a type of goat's cheese).

•Blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton.

Even if these cheeses are pasteurised, they still aren't safe to eat. That's because they are more moist and less acidic than other cheeses. It's this moistness and acidity which provide the perfect environment for listeria bacteria to grow.

i've never bought goats cheese before I think i'll have to have a look around and see if I can find any that aren't soft type goats cheese with a rind. if not I'll just pop some sort of cream cheese on top - can't taste that much different! lol

The Juggler
28-05-2011, 02:25 PM
this is the info i have:

These cheeses are not safe for you while you're pregnant:

•Soft, mould-ripened cheeses, such as brie, camembert and chevre (a type of goat's cheese).

•Blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton.

Even if these cheeses are pasteurised, they still aren't safe to eat. That's because they are more moist and less acidic than other cheeses. It's this moistness and acidity which provide the perfect environment for listeria bacteria to grow

i've never bought goats cheese before I think i'll have to have a look around and see if I can find any that aren't soft type goats cheese with a rind. if not I'll just pop some sort of cream cheese on top - can't taste that much different! lol

tesco do a really nice welsh goats cheese which is the rindless type - it's more like a slightly crumbly cream cheese- not wet like feta. Maybe try that???

sandy64
28-05-2011, 03:28 PM
that sounds yummy i love goats cheese care to share your recipe please:)
what about using creamy lancashire or cheshire hope youre d.h enjoys it

kindredspirits
28-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jugs - I'll see if I can find that! :D

the recipe is here: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/goats-cheese/caramelised-balsamic-and-red-onion-tarts-with-goats-cheese.html

as you can see its a Delia one so should be good!
We're going to have that as a starter, then chicken casserole as a main and apple pie (DH's fav) for pudding/birthday cake - DH isn't a cake lover so he's getting pie instead with cornish ice cream!

Cammie Doodle
28-05-2011, 04:26 PM
my son makes the most delicious goats cheese tartlets :blush: . I will ask him later what he would substitute it with (he is a chef and maybe he will have the answer

kindredspirits
28-05-2011, 04:39 PM
that would be brilliant June! I have been googling it and it seems that the goats cheese is used as a sort of sour flavour as opposed to just cheese and I am totally lost in that department - if its not cake based I'm rubbish! lol

Cammie Doodle
28-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi Kindred, Cameron (The Chef ) says most of the flavour is from the onion, so your cheese is not really a BIG flavour, he suggested (if you are allowed it) use Philidelphia (Chive) or Boursin (the garlic one ) If you are not allowed those use Goats cheese for hubby and have yours minus the goats cheese .
Cameron says as long as the Goats cheese is pasturized , has no rind and is cooked you should be able to have it, he just rang me back after checking

kindredspirits
28-05-2011, 08:49 PM
thanks June thats brilliant - I'll see if I can find some suitable goats cheese, if not I'll go for the boursin - i at least know I can find that without too much effort! lol

sandy64
29-05-2011, 12:52 PM
yummy yummy thanks for that hope your meal goes well:)