PDA

View Full Version : Icp

Loz74
25-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi all can anyone help me I am trying to find a icp course that I can do online as I work full time at the moment . Any help would be fab

sarah707
26-05-2011, 07:00 AM
As far as I am aware the course is run via your local authority.

if there is a course online that they and Ofsted approve of the LA will be best able to advise you.

Good luck :D

mumto3
26-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Im waiting to hear from my council about the course, i think its over 6 evenings, 3 hrs each so 18 hrs in all

Ive never heard of an icp course online

JoJo*
28-05-2011, 02:47 PM
-Contact your local authority - ours were all on Sats -9am till 4pm - for 10 weeks but this included the First aid too. (most of the time we got to leave early):thumbsup:

Mrs Dolphin
28-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe sound thick here but what is an ICP course? Are they conpulsary? I have just signed up for my 3 pre-registration sessions and that is all I know about at the moment?

mumto3
28-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Maybe sound thick here but what is an ICP course? Are they conpulsary? I have just signed up for my 3 pre-registration sessions and that is all I know about at the moment?

its the name of the course that u are signed up for, i think they have different names for different places

are u doing it over 3 saturdays, is it 18 hrs?

Lawwa
29-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I couldn't find an online one either. Mine is Monday nights, 2 hours at a time for 9 weeks. Then 2 Saturdays (9.30 - 4.30) doing the First Aid course.

Mrs Dolphin
31-05-2011, 09:17 AM
No thats not what I am signed up for? I am booked into 3 pre-reg briefing sessions that are 2 1/2 hours each! I think I need to sign up for these too then but not sure if I need to do that before or after the pre-reg sessions?? Very confused :/

Jiorjiina
31-05-2011, 01:36 PM
If it's any help, it works this way in our area (Devon):

First, I attended 2 pre-registration sessions (4ish hours each), which gave me more information about being a childminder, some of the positives and negatives, as well as information about how the local authority works in relation to childminders. (TBH, I already knew most of this, because I did a lot of reading and research first, but it was a mandatory part of the process in our area.)

Once I had done the pre-reg sessions, I signed up for the Introduction to Childcare Practise/Setting Up A Home based Childcare Service (also known as CYPOP 5, because it's one module of the level 3 nvq.) BTW, the coloured letters are what they sometimes shorten the names to, i.e ICP or SHC. This course is longer (I did 1 full day a week for four weeks), and is the minimum basic childcare training that Ofsted requires for registration. Part of this course was also my Safeguarding qualification (also required for registration).

Once I had done this course, I was told I could register my intent with Ofsted (online, the like people to do this online now, apparently), who then kindly sent my a CRB check form to fill in, and an invoice. (My mum is also registering as my assistant for the holidays she had to fill in a bit on the online form as well.)

All the people in my house had to fill in a form for a CRB check (in this case, just my mum and me), and then send this back to Ofsted. This is for an enhanced CRB check, which is the highest level they do, and Ofsted pays for it.

In the mean time, I did a paediatric first aid course (a non paediatric one is not valid for Childminder registration, it must be a child specific first aid course), and got my GP to fill in a health check form and send that off to Ofsted as well. (I googled for the form, printed it off and took it to my GP. The do charge for doing this, but in my case it was only £25, I have heard far worse charges!)

I have also written my policies and procedures (some of these were homework for the ICP/SHC course), built a website, bought some toys, books and posters that I needed, and done even more reading and research :blush: . I'm a reader and researcher by nature, I'm afraid.

Now I'm waiting to hear from Ofsted when they are coming to do my pre-registration visit, and then hopefully I am done.

The only thing I haven't done is started marketing, because I don't want to do that until I know when Ofsted are coming.

Mrs Dolphin
31-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks Jiorjiina, that makes it much clearer. I have spoken to the lady who is the local childcare and play co-ordinator and she has reiterated what you have said basically so thats great :) Thanks again.

mumto3
31-05-2011, 03:40 PM
If it's any help, it works this way in our area (Devon):

First, I attended 2 pre-registration sessions (4ish hours each), which gave me more information about being a childminder, some of the positives and negatives, as well as information about how the local authority works in relation to childminders. (TBH, I already knew most of this, because I did a lot of reading and research first, but it was a mandatory part of the process in our area.)

Once I had done the pre-reg sessions, I signed up for the Introduction to Childcare Practise/Setting Up A Home based Childcare Service (also known as CYPOP 5, because it's one module of the level 3 nvq.) BTW, the coloured letters are what they sometimes shorten the names to, i.e ICP or SHC. This course is longer (I did 1 full day a week for four weeks), and is the minimum basic childcare training that Ofsted requires for registration. Part of this course was also my Safeguarding qualification (also required for registration).

Once I had done this course, I was told I could register my intent with Ofsted (online, the like people to do this online now, apparently), who then kindly sent my a CRB check form to fill in, and an invoice. (My mum is also registering as my assistant for the holidays she had to fill in a bit on the online form as well.)

All the people in my house had to fill in a form for a CRB check (in this case, just my mum and me), and then send this back to Ofsted. This is for an enhanced CRB check, which is the highest level they do, and Ofsted pays for it.

In the mean time, I did a paediatric first aid course (a non paediatric one is not valid for Childminder registration, it must be a child specific first aid course), and got my GP to fill in a health check form and send that off to Ofsted as well. (I googled for the form, printed it off and took it to my GP. The do charge for doing this, but in my case it was only £25, I have heard far worse charges!)

I have also written my policies and procedures (some of these were homework for the ICP/SHC course), built a website, bought some toys, books and posters that I needed, and done even more reading and research :blush: . I'm a reader and researcher by nature, I'm afraid.

Now I'm waiting to hear from Ofsted when they are coming to do my pre-registration visit, and then hopefully I am done.

The only thing I haven't done is started marketing, because I don't want to do that until I know when Ofsted are coming.

That makes sense and thats how i thought it all worked out

Thing that gets me is (see where i have set ur quote in bold), im nvq 2,3, and 4 qualified yet i still have to do the basic qual for ofsted to be a childminder, my qualifications are higher than the basic that is needed so im gonna pay £215 for the course where alot of it i will know, ggrrr :mad:
did u have to pay for ur icp course?

also was ur homework only doing policy and procedures or did u have assignments coz i was told there would be assignments too :cool:

Jiorjiina
31-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Actually, our local authority still funds all training for early years. We're massively lucky, I know.

Yep, there are other assignments too. Mostly just showing that you understand the stuff covered in each session, so if you already have the NVQ 3, you'll be fine.

I don't have any previous academic qualifications in childcare, and I passed it first time, so it's not that hard.