PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice for a limping 3 yr old?

grindal
23-05-2011, 10:21 AM
3 yr old DS jumped off his brothers top bunk on Wednesday pm :eek:
Unsurprisingly, it hurt - he cried, told me his foot hurt, I put some ice on it, checked he could wiggle toes etc.
On Thurs he was limping so we decided to go to A&E to get it checked. They x rayed it and said there was no damage to bones so it should improve over the weekend.
He walked round the corner to drop DS1 at school this morning and by the time he got there he was in tears telling me it hurt.
Should I take him back to A&E? There is no sign of bruising or swelling, but he is no drama queen (unlike DS1) and he still seems to be in a lot of pain :(

Stew....pid
23-05-2011, 10:28 AM
a few years ago i came off my motorbike and my thigh and calf were in real pain, xray showed no breaks and no bruising showing, after a few days of pain i went to my doctor and he felt poked and prodded and said its internal bruising, lasted about a week and a half then back to normal, your lad maybe the same, id monitor it for another day or 2 and if no sign of it improving consult your doc or straight back to A&E :)

Mouse
23-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Spooky, I've just been having a simlar conversation with a friend of mine! Her son hurt his leg last week. He couldn't/wouldn't walk on it, but was able to ride a bike, sit on the floor to play etc. A&E said they didn't think there was anything broken, but she's taken him back today, he's had another xray & is now in plaster as they spotted a break this time.

Sometimes you need time to let the swelling go down before a fracture will show up, so I think I'd be tempted to pop back to A&E and see if they'll have another look.

rickysmiths
23-05-2011, 10:41 AM
With one so small I would go back today to have him checked over.

You know he isn't making it up and with small people I am always over cautious. The hospital won't mind either. Better to see you today and find nothing than in a few days when something could have developed.

nemo97
23-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi there,
I would go back to the hospital. When my daughter was 3yrs she jumped into a sandpit and we had to take her to A&E where it was x-rayed.
The doctor told us it wasn't broken and we had to make her walk on it. She wouldn't put weight on it but following the doctors instructions we kept holding her hands and made her walk.

The day after the doctor rang to say that a more qualified doctor had taken a look at the x-ray and had noticed that it was broken.:(

Both my husband & myself felt so guilty at causing her so much discomfort at making her walk on it when it was broken.:mad:

They may have made a mistake :angry:

kindredspirits
23-05-2011, 11:30 AM
totally agree - take him back to get it re-xrayed - you don't want to take the chance that it was missed.

grindal
23-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have been watching him closely this morning. He is still limping all the time, but is much happier.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as popping to our nearest A&E - but I may have to brave it and return to North Mid Hospital :blush:

blue bear
24-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Definetly go back, ds2 was diagnosed with bad sprain, went back after 3 days two more doctors checked, no break. Got a call from consultant he had double checked both x rays he had multiple tiny breaks(20+)and needed to be in plaster.

lfishwick
24-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Definately go back as little ones can get greenstick fractures and I know from experience ( 3 now teenage boys!!) that they do not always show up straight away on xray but once swelling has eased it can be found....

Bruised internal muscles do really hurt and do last for days even weeks - but if you are worried at all i would go back.

Is there any blue brusing at all? As usually when my little angels have broken bones ( for a variety of reasons - I.E falling when climbing up the wrong side of the stairs, falls from trees....:rolleyes:) the blue bruising or marking around the brake is pretty obvious!

Pipsqueak
24-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Eldest is still hobbling around after his mishap at the weekend and a resulting bad sprain. He is in a lot of pain and the swelling is awful. Been alternating ice/heat and applying arnica.... no bruising yet.

If its no better by the end of the week we are going back.

They told my nephew he hadn't done anything.... after 10 days of being in agony he went back and its turns out he had a break.

If in doubt get your LO checked.

grindal
24-05-2011, 08:11 PM
He is still limping, but there is no bruising or swelling! He is much happier about it now, it does not seem to be hurting so much. I have treated him to a few car journeys this week.

flowerpots
24-05-2011, 08:19 PM
oh poor little mite, hope he's feeling better soon. xxx