PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg CM with potential mindee waiting....

brightstart44
22-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this so hello everyone! I am in the process of registration, hoping to start from September on a term time only basis (but with flexibility to take older children on an ad hoc basis in the holidays).

My local Childrens services rang me last week with someone's details who wanted to speak to me. I told them I am only pre-reg but they said just phone and speak to her. I did this and we discussed her requirements, which didn't fit with my plans tbh - different school (although closer to home than my own childrens school) and some unsociable hours, and lots of school hol work. However, I am keen and feel I need to be flexible to what parents need so we're meeting next week.

She is happy to wait until I am ready (very patient) but I'm just worried that I'm taking on too much before I've even started! I am going to have to drop him off at school early and leave him there (she said he has a 'key' person who he knows to go to) and likewise I'll be taking him home after school has finished but at least this way his carers are clearly defined! So, my concern is with the 'handing over of care' thing before school - I need to make sure it is written in to the contract, but also that the school are aware of this and happy for me to send him in early. How would you write this into a contract/procedural document to both cover yourself and ensure the welfare and safety of the child? The child is 8 btw.

Any help would be appreciated so that I 'sort of' know what I am talking about and know what to address when we meet.

Many thanks
Amanda

miffy
22-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Before you take this on I'd make sure that the school are happy with this arrangement - will you be able to hand the child over to a member of staff or will you just leave him in the playground? You don't say how early you will be dropping him off.

Our school doesn't accept children until 0840 am (school starts 0850 am) not even in the playground. TBH I would not be happy leaving a child in the playground - what if they chose to go off on their own?

Miffy xx

brightstart44
30-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advice! I did think that I'd have to speak direct to the school over this one, and get them to sign into some kind of contract as I myself wouldn't be happy leaving him without such an agreement.

I need to get my own to school at 8.55am so he would need to be dropped off at 8.45am and somebody would have to be there ready to accept him as unless I had someone to hand over responsibilty to, I wouldn't leave him on his own even if school allowed this.

She is hoping to come and see me next weekend, so I'll discuss this and see what arrangements she already has in place (she seems very organised) and see if I could take him on. He sounds like a lovely boy as does his mother, and I'd like to be able to help them out.

I'm a bit further down the registration process now, and am so excited! I don't know why I didn't do this years ago!