PDA

View Full Version : fees!!!

Milena
19-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi all! I am newly registered Childminder. I had a call and expecting parents to visit me next week for their 4 years old. I am still so mixed up with fees and dont know where to start from....
How much should I charge for sickness if I or my kids are not well. How much if the minded child is unwell?
I am registered for 1 child up to 5 and one up to 8. May sound a bit stupid, but just want to make it clear - the children over 5 can only be with me after scholl, so what do I do the rest of the day for that place available? Is it just lost time?
Also, do all children go to school 4 years? Sorry, not British and still not familiar with all this. If I want to have one minded child at least for the whole day, has to be below 4 or even below 3, right? In this case I don't really have lots of options.
I am in Raynes Park and as far as hear the fee in the area is £5.50 per hour. Do I calculate this multiplying the hours or it depending on the lenght of the session.
Oh, I am not sure if it made any sence, but I hope some one would give me some advise!
Thank you so much!!!

The Juggler
19-05-2011, 07:24 AM
people do different things hon but I think the simplest way is to charge full when you are able to work (i.e. so if child/parent absent for any reason it's full fee) and none when you are NOT available.

You will have to consider whether you charge for holidays or not though and bank hols. I'd say it's around 50:50 on the forum here those that charge for hols and those that don't.

Charge your daily full time rate then maybe an enhanced hourly rate for before 0800 and after 1800. I'd charge a higher rate for before/after schoolies or a min. session rate (2 hours). I'd also charge a higher hourly rate for less than 5 hours per day and tell parents that there is a min. fee of 4/5 hours a day.

:thumbsup: good luckx

pinkbutterfly
19-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi Milena
Welcome to the forum. :)
I think the best thing would be to see what other minders do about fees. In my area nobody charges daily rate so if I introduced it I would be outpricing myself and have no business. See if your local SureStart has childminding group or ask for help a support minder.
I also have only one space for a child under 5 registered with Ofsted but somehow I always manage to work to full capacity. Of course it's easier if you have more than one space available but it's also doable with just one. I had children come to me just in the mornings and just in the afternoons, on different days but they all sort of slotted together.
Good luck