PDA

View Full Version : Im new and have a question about qualifications

mumto3
18-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about becoming a childminder as someone I know has asked me to look after their baby from next April/May, I have 3 children (9,6 and 2) and have been a SAHM for just over 3 years now, before this I worked in nursery for 13 years and worked my way up to the top to Management, I am qualified level 2, 3 and also ADCE (equivalent of level 4). I recently emailed my local council asking about what course and briefing session I would need to do and she replied saying to call Ofsted to check whether my qualifications would be enough to skip the childminding course, Im not sure this is right, Ive never come across this before, could anyone shed any light on it for me please, Im sure there are a few of you here with a wealth of knowledge from reading through some of the forum.

Thanks in advance

pinkbutterfly
19-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you will still have to go through the childminding course. You will need up to date first aid, safeguarding course and introduction to childminding. All that is covered on childminding courses.

mumto3
19-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you for your reply, I thought I would too, the lady that emailed me said to ring ofsted to ask them but Im sure I will have to do it which is fine, its a 6 week course isnt it?

pinkbutterfly
19-05-2011, 10:51 AM
12 hour first aid and 18 hour childminding course. It took me 5 weeks (1 day a week) to complete it. However my LA had an option of doing it in a week (5 consecutive whole days).

mumto3
19-05-2011, 10:55 AM
did you have to pay for the childminding course or was it free? i know i would need to pay for the first aid

pinkbutterfly
19-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I didn't pay for anything even the first aid was free and on completion of registration they threw in first year of free insurance. It varies from LA to LA some fund a lot some fund nothing.