PDA

View Full Version : Change of direction or not?

Clever Clogs
18-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi all
Not been on here for a long time but needing to sound off and get some much needed advice if you lovely ladies don't mind. I have applied to college to do access to nursing as I really feel it's time for a change. The past few months I am having more bad days than good and feel it's time for a change. My son is in his first year at nursery although love spending time with him, he is very hard work and just feel every day is a struggle with him and other kids. He's not as 'into everything' when it's just us and wonder if it's the right thing having children with us all the time. We are having some of his 'behaviours' looked into the now but going through a really difficult phase where I'm not sure if this is good for him or good for the other children. I've always like the idea of nursing so thought this would be a good year to start as I would do a year at college (getting same hols etc as school) before doing uni when he is Primary 1.
Has any of you ladies ever done nursing/caring as a job previous? Got so many things going through my head and scared in case I make the wrong decision. I've been thinking of applying for a home carer job for a shift at the weekend to see how I get on. Has anyone done that before? What's it really like etc? I've just dropped a day with one of my children and another two may be leaving in July so may be needing to change anway. Ohhh why are decisions so hard to make???

sarah707
18-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Crikey you have got a lot going on in your head!!

Only you know if nursing is right for you - does it interest you? Can you take the money cut?

Then you need to think about your current life - are you ready for a change? Do you want your house back for your son without other children?

And of course put your son's needs into the mix - what would happen to him if you're at college? What type of care would suit him?

Good luck! :D

Buzz Lightyear
19-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Clever Clogs.

I too found childminding hard when I first started as I had my own daughter who was one at the time and while it was nice for her to have someone to play with, she did also become quite threatened as the mindee was into the same toys she was and of course, they were her toys and she found them hard to share with someone else. So they clashed and there were tantrums galore both from DD1 and mindee which added hugely to the pressure of starting a new business.

For a few months, I questioned whether childminding was for me and my family and the answer turned out to be yes. I remembered why I decided on childminding, for my daughter so that I could still earn a living and yet be at home with her also. The thought of me leaving her with someone else devastated me and so childminding for me was the perfect option.

On my bad days which do still occur, I just have to refocus on the reason I am doing this. I doubt I will be a childminder forever but for the time being, while I now have two daughters, it works for me. Plus, I have just been accepted to Uni to do a degree with honors in childcare so that will keep me busy for another three years which is perfect as I would love to have another baby. It's going to be a slog of 3 years but it'll be worth it in the end if I can achieve my dream of being a primary school teacher once my girls are older.

Just remember, it's your house but also your children's house too and they spend more time playing with the toys than anyone so they are bound to be protective. My DD1 still has 'moments' now but being 3, she has learnt we have to share though she might not like it.

Much like me with my wine on an evening and having to share it with DH!! :thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted!