PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! courses needed to become primary teacher

rachb82
18-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi there folks,

really need some advice as i am just going round in circles. i want to be a primary teacher but in order to do this i need a minimum of BA Honours degree at 2:2 and then a pgce. so my dilemma id do i do a foundation degree in early years or primary learning and teaching then followed by two top up modules to gain BA hons status or would you advise i do a single BA hons open degree where it is not so much related to just schooling.

really confused, please help.

:panic: :blush: :confused:

grindal
18-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I am a qualified secondary school teacher. I did a BSc followed by a PGCE when I decided that I wanted to teach. If you are doing a degree with sole determination to become a primary school teacher then I would do some sort of BEd course. these are usually over 4 years (full time) and you will end up with an honours degree in your chosen subject and in education. You will then be able to get a job as a primary school teacher. If you think you might decide to follow a different route after completing your degree then choose a BA or BSC course (or top up from a foundation module).
Good Luck

clio0602
18-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I think I would choose the route that would interest me the most module wise. In an open degree you can generally follow your interests just keeping in mind the end goal! This is just me though. Good luck with it all X

The Juggler
18-05-2011, 01:03 PM
if you want to work in early years do the foundation degree route, much more flexible. If you want to keep your options open to what age group I'd do a degree in any subject or a BEd course or a degree in a teaching subject (English, Maths, Science) whatever then do you PGCE.