PDA

View Full Version : Carrying out observations on a 1yr and 3 yr old

dmez
18-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Hello,

Can someone please tell me how often I should be carrying out observations and what I should be looking for when I do my obs?

Thank you

Gracie's mamma
18-05-2011, 09:07 AM
dmez
Thank you for asking that one lol

dmez
18-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I have my inspection nxt Friday lol so am hitting panic mode!! xxxx

sarah707
18-05-2011, 06:17 PM
There is no right or wrong answer to your questions because it's not about the amount of observations you write!

It's about what you do with them and how you use them to make a difference to the child's learning and development.

So if you spot a child doing something you will make a note and consider how to help them move on or consolidate... if you see a child enjoying something you will make a note and consider what they might enjoy next... if you hear a child using a certain word you will follow it up because you are clued into the child's interests, likes and dislikes etc.

It's not about quantity (though I would say aim for a couple a week for a full timer, less for part time) it's about quality.

hth :D

Number twenty 2
19-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with Sarah. For the simple (what I call look, listen and note) observations, it's about what you notice them saying or doing and only noting them down if you feel it is showing you something about the child. If you have to think too hard about what it is showing you it probably isn't worthy of note. These observations should be noted down as and when they occur, so there isn't a particular number you need to hit. Just make sure you are taking the time to observe the children and think about what it is they are doing.

There is another type of observation though, a more focussed observation, where you take time to just observe the child and write down all that they say and do. You then look back at what you've written and use your observation to improve your provision for that child as best you can. If you are new to child minding I would advise doing one of these every few weeks for each child at first, and gradually doing them less often as your confidence in your look, listen and note observations grows.

For more guidance and suitable forms relating to observations see the K System (business advertising section - bottom of home page).

Hope this is helpful

Mandar
26-05-2011, 07:09 PM
excellent question.

I have had mine girl at 10 months and at only 2 days a week, one day is at toddler group and the afternoon she has a long sleep so I only really have 1/2 day to do topics.

I am doing a baby led at the mo (i have had here since jan) and start to do topics for 2 monthly from June.

Would this be OK?

I am using an obs book from childmining resources, i am writing up my obs and then just putting the page number of with 6 areas it is linked to. is this right?????

I am anticipating a call soon so wanna be prepared.!!!

Rubybubbles
28-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I currently look after a 9 month old and a 24 month old

The baby is full time, I do 2-4 wow obs a week, and 2-3 planned obs a month and then any thing else that baby may do that I think :idea:

24 month old is 4 hours a day, I do 1-3 wow obs a week and again 2-3 planned obs a month

I also take loads of photos and put KUW, CCL ect next to the photo!

for me doing it this way helps with the next steps, and the planned obs are linked to the next steps!