PDA

View Full Version : Eyfs changes!!!

Cassie
17-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I have just heard changes are to be made from Sep to "simplify" eyfs for childminders.....I am fully behind Eyfs and i feel it has helped change people's opinions of childminders. I do however find it hard to understand how we are grouped with playgroups and nursery settings! Maybe this has finally been realised and these changes will help us to get back to what childminding is all about...

MAWI
17-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Was that this september?

My Ofsted inspector said any changes would take effect from SEpt 2012.

Either way, Im sure its a positive thing!!

kaz26
17-05-2011, 12:58 PM
God i hope it simplifys im only now starting out and am finding it all abit daunting! really worried im going to mess up! x:panic:

miffy
17-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I also understood any changes (which are just being drawn up now) won't take effect until September 2012

Miffy xx

ORKSIE
17-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I also understood any changes (which are just being drawn up now) won't take effect until September 2012

Miffy xx

This is correct Miffy :thumbsup:

miffy
17-05-2011, 02:10 PM
This is correct Miffy :thumbsup:

Thanks Orksie!

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
17-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Just in time for us to get used to it before a new government takes over and changes it all again!

Dragonfly
17-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Havent heard this, does anyone know what sort of changes?

Cassie
17-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I assumed this September as advisor didn't say 2012....i am in the process of starting up a morning playgroup and we were told to wait until Sep to apply for accreditation as these changes were happening!

sarah707
17-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Any changes as Miffy says will be slow to come into effect - they haven't even been properly looked into yet. :D

Chatterbox Childcare
17-05-2011, 06:26 PM
The lovely Dame only made the recommendations this year - I doubt if the new EYFS will come into force for at least another year

Kate M
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
I'd heard it was this Sept too.

Jods
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
In our setting we have been told 2012, as Sarah said the changes/recommendations have not even been drafted yet x

The original EYFS came into place 5 years ago, and they were going to review after 3 years and re-drafted after 5 if needed, it used to say this on the old eyfs/deparntment website, and I have a pre-Sept 2008 booklet/cd rom set that has a cover letter in explaining all this x

If you are concerned then contact the EYFS/Gov/ECO direct x

nannysue
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I had my inspection on Monday and the inspector said that it was going to happen in April next year ?? The areas of learning are going to be simplified and will go from 6 to 3 :thumbsup:

Helcatt
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
When I was at a meeting last week, the FIS peeps were saying that it is still in the process of being looked in to, so nothing confirmed yet but they thought that we might have some ideas by sept and it would come in to effect the following september (2012)

So don't stress it just yet!

Hx

onceinabluemoon
13-06-2011, 05:18 PM
In our setting we have been told 2012, as Sarah said the changes/recommendations have not even been drafted yet x

The original EYFS came into place 5 years ago, and they were going to review after 3 years and re-drafted after 5 if needed, it used to say this on the old eyfs/deparntment website, and I have a pre-Sept 2008 booklet/cd rom set that has a cover letter in explaining all this x

EYFS came into place at the beginning of September 2008.

Pipsqueak
13-06-2011, 05:25 PM

The EYFS only came into force on Sept 2008 hun. It was piloted in 2007.

Jods
13-06-2011, 05:36 PM
2007-2012 5 years x

we were one of the first areas to trial the EYFS, I have the original EYFS pack dated 2007 lol!!!

sweets
13-06-2011, 05:46 PM
i just wish they would scrap it altogether!:thumbsup:

SYLVIA
13-06-2011, 06:49 PM

I don't want it scrapped, just simplified. I thnk as already says it has done a lot for childminding image.

cupcake22
16-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Me Too

Cupcake22

sweets
16-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Me Too

Cupcake22

yeay thought it was just me that thought that :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:

shazsull
16-06-2011, 07:30 PM
i have had an e mail today inviting me on a 1 day course on how changes to the eyfs is going to affect us im in sutton im very new so confusing me even more!!!!

georgie456
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Oh I don;t want it scrapped! I've invested too much time and work for them to scrap it - I'd actually be quite annoyed if that happened.

BlondeMoment
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Me as well! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Or at least scrap some of the paperwork. I think home based childcare should be just that ... like it would be if their parents were looking after them in their home. None of this "planning" and "observations" etc. Nurseries have the staff to keep records and the resources. There's just one of us!

gegele
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
i don't think scrapping is the solution as it helps to push some minder to actually do a bit more but it does need to acknowledge and recognise that childminders work a longer hours, are on their own and have to balance lifework in the same place....

reducing the paper work is a must!:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
i don't think scrapping is the solution as it helps to push some minder to actually do a bit more but it does need to acknowledge and recognise that childminders work a longer hours, are on their own and have to balance lifework in the same place....

reducing the paper work is a must!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

cupcake22
08-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Me too. I am always drowning in paperwork lol

Cupcake22

sweets
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't want it scrapped, just simplified. I thnk as already says it has done a lot for childminding image.

i understand that is has raised the profile of childminders and put us on an equal footing with other care providers (well its supposed to have done but most people will never see us as equals :rolleyes: )

but at what price?

i am sick to death of analising and logging every little thing a child does, everytime they so much as sneeze we have to log it (ok slight exageration ;) )

All the big wig people in the country e.g scientists, doctors,lawers etc where brought up with EYFS and they managed to get through life.

If EYFS is going to exist then yes i agree that childminders should have to do it too, but it should be scrapped for every provider. :thumbsup:

leave the poor kids to just play without us having to write everything down.

does anyone honestly have any parents that are interested in EYFS? mine arent, all they want are photos and news of their childs day and to know that they are happy and well cared for.

julie w
08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I went to a meeting about the changes for sept 2012. The main one being to scrap risk assessments, though of course its not set in stone yet. The eyfs is going to be from 'womb to 5' (it will soon be conception!!:eek:lol ). They said the idea behind the obs , planning etc etc is to support and guide those children who do not have support and proper care at home. In my mind, and maybe I'm over generalising,but the poorest and most needy children do not go to childminders. Most of our mindees are from working parents, not those with the Jeremy Kyle -show parents. So all the obs etc we do with children are for those parents who would know if their child is thriving and developing as they should be and they dont need all our paperwork to show them this. Most of my parents would be completely happy with a diary and photos. As long as we have good training to enable us to know when there was a problem and to know how to deal with it, that should be more than enough to support children. Ranting I know, but the eyfs is just too much at the moment, but the new one doesnt seem to be an awful lot different.

littletreasures
09-07-2011, 06:58 AM
i have had an e mail today inviting me on a 1 day course on how changes to the eyfs is going to affect us im in sutton im very new so confusing me even more!!!!

I'm in the Sutton borough too, but didn't get an email. Can you forward it to me please?

BlondeMoment
21-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I went to a meeting about the changes for sept 2012. The main one being to scrap risk assessments, though of course its not set in stone yet. The eyfs is going to be from 'womb to 5' (it will soon be conception!!:eek:lol ). They said the idea behind the obs , planning etc etc is to support and guide those children who do not have support and proper care at home. In my mind, and maybe I'm over generalising,but the poorest and most needy children do not go to childminders. Most of our mindees are from working parents, not those with the Jeremy Kyle -show parents. So all the obs etc we do with children are for those parents who would know if their child is thriving and developing as they should be and they dont need all our paperwork to show them this. Most of my parents would be completely happy with a diary and photos. As long as we have good training to enable us to know when there was a problem and to know how to deal with it, that should be more than enough to support children. Ranting I know, but the eyfs is just too much at the moment, but the new one doesnt seem to be an awful lot different.

Womb ????????????? How are we supposed to observe them from there!!!??? LOL! Now that really is ridiculous :laughing:

Andrea08
22-07-2011, 08:06 AM
hi, although i agree with most of the posts above i just wanted comment that although we may be working with LO's from working backgrounds this does not mean these children are not within SEN... some of our children struggle in some areas and some in all areas of L&D..

our obs , ass and planning for each child in all the aspects of learnig shows us red flags of Educational needs,

we are to help each child develop and achieve in all areas to transit to reception

every child matters was introduced not just for thoes from teh poor backgrounds but for all children esp thoes that could be on SEN that could and use to fall through the net,

the areas of L&D are changing which is a shame as i have a full folder of info and printed pages of aspects etc for all age groups which i will have to do from scratch again with the new 7 areas of L&D..

training will start in the sring of 2012 and put in stone for the sept 2012

good luck with it everyone x

littlegremlins
22-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll be glad if they narrow down the categories as there is too much overlap in my opinion..I think physical development can easily come under PSED. KUW has strong links to PSRN so could be incorporated into just that category, CLL to remain.

I think the next steps is a bit of extra paperwork extra that could be done away with, as long as the child is stimulated and progressing isn't it enough that they achieve their targets. I don't think parents expect or even realise just how much paperwork is going on behind the scenes in addition to all the policies/permissions they've already signed.

Rant over

stardust
25-07-2011, 05:55 PM
2007-2012 5 years x

we were one of the first areas to trial the EYFS, I have the original EYFS pack dated 2007 lol!!!

Same! I have all the origional documents and cover notes from the course i had to undertake at nursery.

Cazz
25-07-2011, 06:28 PM
My development worker has been out to me today. It is definetly September 2012 - the areas are being reduced to 3 main ones so it will be simplified.

Also, we will not have to do risk assessments for outings (still in the home though) and when a child is in full time education we will no longer have to do any planning for them (whereas at the moment we are having to do it until 31st August after their 5th birthday).

All sounds good to me - I also don't want it scrapped completely (didn't think I'd say that a year ago!). I'm finally getting my head around it and I think it helps me provide a professional quality service.

sarah707
25-07-2011, 08:48 PM
My development worker has been out to me today. It is definetly September 2012 - the areas are being reduced to 3 main ones so it will be simplified.

Also, we will not have to do risk assessments for outings (still in the home though) and when a child is in full time education we will no longer have to do any planning for them (whereas at the moment we are having to do it until 31st August after their 5th birthday).

All sounds good to me - I also don't want it scrapped completely (didn't think I'd say that a year ago!). I'm finally getting my head around it and I think it helps me provide a professional quality service.

Please remember none of this is gospel yet!! It is still under consultation.

And the wording on RAs for outings is not as simple as your DW is making it sound.

And there will be 7 areas, not 3 or 6! However 3 will be focus and the other 4 will be important but less so, especially for the little ones.

Hth :D

The Juggler
26-07-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm in the Sutton borough too, but didn't get an email. Can you forward it to me please?

just caught up on this thread ! i'm guessing this was the termly forum meeting which I didn't get an e-mail for despite being on the network pilot AND being reg. at the local childrne's centre. I heard about it so e-mailed you know who to ask as loads didn't get the e-mail and I didn't even get a reply.

I know they have lots going on but.....:panic:

Dragonfly
26-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Dont hear anything in East Anglia:thumbsup: not till it actually happens.

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Please remember none of this is gospel yet!! It is still under consultation.

And the wording on RAs for outings is not as simple as your DW is making it sound.

And there will be 7 areas, not 3 or 6! However 3 will be focus and the other 4 will be important but less so, especially for the little ones.

Hth :D
this is correct and the new packs are supposed to be with us by next spring, ready to be implemented by sep 2012.
i've looked at the consultation and recommendations (which are available online) and personally, i don't think it will change our role much, if at all, for the better. from what i understand, a written assessment will be needed not just at the end of the EYFS (FS profile document normally done by FS teacher) but at 24 months old (or was it 36m?) too (ie by US).
anyway, don't take my word for it, i read this weeks ago and i didn't print it off to refer to regrettably. think i'd better go and have another look for it :idea:

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 11:56 AM
i've just looked back through my reflective journal and found some notes I made about this.
it is thought that the 3 prime learning areas will be PSED, CL and PD. The further 4 specific areas will be Literacy, Maths, UW, expressive art and design.
A revised EYFS final version is apparently expected Oct/Nov 2011 to be implemented by Sep 2012 and the assessment is at 24 months not 36 months.
Read the consultation on the Dept for Education's website:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
20-08-2011, 12:30 PM

No no no - it is better than nothing and makes us, in my opinion, better than a babysister and more professional

Chatterbox Childcare
20-08-2011, 12:32 PM
There is a consultation being conducted at present by the government. NCMA members look at the last newsletter and the link is there with information regarding this.

It is my understanding that changes will come in 2012 but no date is set as yet