PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start childminding

beccie123
17-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello,

I am thinking of becoming a childminder. I am a fully qualified nursery nurse and have been working in a nursery for 4 years. I have now had my own baby and was thinking of becoming a childminder, but just wanting some advice.

What do I have to do first? and what happens throughout the process.

I have been on a few websites and they make it seem so easy, but I just havent got a clue where to start!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you
Beccie

Pipsqueak
17-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi there and welcome to the site.

First of all you need to contact your local FIS and they should be able to give you the pre-reg briefing times. This will be a short meeting where you will be given basic information about becoming a childminder.
If you want to proceed then you need to get your CYPOP5 course and first aid qualications. These are sometimes provided for by your EY team.
You will send of your information to Ofsted who will at some point come out and do a suitable person check - this involves them chatting with you, CRB's, having a look round your house. during all this though you should be offered support via the EY team.

You will have sent you medical forms of to the doctor (this can cost a a fair bit)

the whole process can take between 4 and 8 months approx.

I have to say its a fairly simple process that can take some time - purely for the paperwork involved and the courses you need to do.

HTH