PDA

View Full Version : DS walking on Tip-Toes - Update

Bernie
17-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this?

My 5yr old DS has be reffered to the hospital because he is constantly walking and running on tip-toes, with or without shoes.

I have done a bit of 'Googleing' and have come up with all sorts of reasons from short tendons to autism.

Has anybody else had a child of this age refered (most seem to be a bit younger) and what does the initial appointment invole?

Bernie x

Hi All,

Just a little update on the above.

We have been to the hospital today and spoke to a very lovely doctor. She bent DS's legs in many different positions and said that his muscles were very very tight, which would make it very uncomfortable for him to walk/stand on flat feet, if not painful.

He has to go back on Monday to have both legs in plaster casts and needs to have them on for 6 weeks to stretch his tendons. He may need to have this done several times whilst he is growing to keep his tendons stretched. He will still be able to walk/play and apart from the itchyness and bathing issues it shouldn't affect him too much. (I'm just a little worried about how it will affect him pshycologically )

He has also had a blood test to rule out a possible muscle disorder.

He has been very brave and took it all in his stride (Mummy is a little bit wobbly). Just wished I had pushed for a referal before he started school.

Will keep you posted how it goes.

loocyloo
17-05-2011, 08:32 AM
hi there, big hugs to you and your DS. :group hug:

xxx

i know a little girl who was born with talipes ( turned in feet ) and she had many operations, and spent a fair amount of time in a wheelchair as couldn't walk with pins in her leg, but as everyone was very supportive and accepting, she took it all in her stride and is now a very happy, well adjusted 20 yr old who is sporty and is studying equine something at Uni, as it means she can ride alot !!!

Pipsqueak
17-05-2011, 08:43 AM
middle son has very short and tight tendons and muscles.

his blooming his achilles popped again this morning when in school:(

when his heels and achilles are really bad he walks on tiptoe. his feet pronate as well.

Ballet would be an excellent remedy for this as is stretches the tendons and muscles as well as strengthens. This might be an alternative to be in casts for such a long period of time. My harry might have to be put into casts as well... however I would rather we try other options first. he has already knocked his beloved sports on the head.
I would also find a sports physio as they may be able to advise alternative treatments and advice

i just feel that xx amount of weeks in a cast for a child is such a huge chunk of their lives......

Bernie
17-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you both for your comments and support.

Pipsqueak, I will diffinately be investigating the sports physio route, he already does gymnastics and swimming so he may be open to the dancing option.

I asked the consultant if we should try the physio/excercise route before 'drastic casting' and she advised that it is such a strong tendon/muscle and his tightness is so server that he needs 24hour stretching to retrain them and his brain :(

I heard somewhere that a trampoline may help? I was a bit against this due to space/childminding issues but hubby agrees that it may be a fun form of stretching for him after he has his casts off.

Every time the phone rings I hold my breath incase its the hospital with his test results.

:panic: :panic: :panic:

Trouble
17-05-2011, 07:55 PM
once the cast come off he will be fine for a while but its keeping the muscles stretched thats the problem

my sons had these done until the age of 16 and he was fine but dont allow them to do it in the holidays as thats when my son felt it and hated them

also bath times a bit of a problem but a stool in the bath to sit on with lets out the side of the bath and its great

kids love the casts as there friends and teachers sign it to make them feel special

its not a bad thing but its hard to reprogramme the mind to match

my son also found trainers better to walk in all the time instead of school shoes so ask the school if its ok

they will help

Pipsqueak
17-05-2011, 08:26 PM
what about getting a mini trampet for inside the house Bernie.

Also a wobble balance board.

you can get night time splints (see ebay)

Trouble - when (what age?) did you notice a problem with your son?

Trouble
17-05-2011, 08:29 PM
what about getting a mini trampet for inside the house Bernie.

Also a wobble balance board.

you can get night time splints (see ebay)

Trouble - when (what age?) did you notice a problem with your son?

when he was 1 he would walk along the sofa on his tip toes but even shoes wouldnt bring him down

they said it was a habit :laughing: oh those words!!!!!!