PDA

View Full Version : 9 mnth eating problems

missymood
14-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi
Have a lo started 2 weeks ago asked mum what he ate and she said oh cucumber, marmite and anything really.

Tried Cucumber, sausage, pasta, sweetcorn and cheese cut up small and he just put most of it on the floor. Probably ate say no more than 8 bits. Gave it to him slowly but just shoved it in his mouth most fallling to floor and a bit going in either being chewed a little and then spat out or going down.

Have tried toast which was better and baby jar but he didn't open mouth to eat it:(

Any ideas please?

sarah707
15-05-2011, 08:16 AM
It could be that he is in a different environment and too interested in distractions... I find that happens a lot at this age.

First I'd find out from mum exactly how she feeds him... what he sits on, how she cuts up the food, does she use a bowl or plate etc.

And what she expects him to eat... how much goes in him and how much on the floor.

Good luck x

missymood
15-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks that's great :thumbsup:

miffy
15-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I always ask parents to provide babies foods until they are 12 months old - perhaps you could ask mum to send you a few sample meals? That way you could see what baby eats, portion size and what consistency the food is given to him.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
15-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I always ask parents to provide babies foods until they are 12 months old - perhaps you could ask mum to send you a few sample meals? That way you could see what baby eats, portion size and what consistency the food is given to him.

Miffy xx

I do the same then offer to take it over when they are settled.

Maza
15-05-2011, 08:39 PM
As above. Also, I would say that '8 bits' is a fair amount. When my daughter went through this phase I moved her mealtimes to half an hour later and she ate much more.

missymood
16-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Have sent e-mail to mum. Waiting for reply!

Mum bought 3 bottles and said he may have these through the day no set times so me thinks oh no!

Think I will get him into routine and give him bottle say after lunch. Don't think he needs 3 do you?

My other one has bottle before he arrives and then lunch at 11.30 followed by water and then milk at 2.30.

miffy
16-05-2011, 08:23 PM
If he's full up with milk he won't eat his solids - does mum give him a bottle whenever she thinks he wants one?

Miffy xx

missymood
16-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I think so!

Just had reply from Mum:

Toast/Marmite
Potatoes
Yorkshire pudding
Mango
Carrots/Cucumber
Chicken
Weetabix/Banana

Something tells me this is gong to be a nightmare and he wants the spoon too! :panic:

missymood
16-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I think I will alter my policies and state that parents to provide food until they are 12 months old from now on:thumbsup:

miffy
16-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I think I will alter my policies and state that parents to provide food until they are 12 months old from now on:thumbsup:

I think that's a good idea! :D

In the meantime I'd ask this mum to send his meals for a week so you can see what she gives him and also get her to write a food/bottle diary so you can see what he's eating/drinking when - it might help you.

Miffy xx

missymood
16-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes that's a good idea

Will see how he gets on this week and then after half term he'll be 3 days so will get Mum to write food/bottle diary over half term:thumbsup:

Flisspaps
24-05-2011, 11:10 AM
DD was BLW (so no-spoon feeding) and at 9months she appeared to get nothing in with most of the food ending up on the floor. If I gave her more than two pieces of food at a time she'd just lob them on the floor.

However, plenty got in (from seeing the output!) so don't think that he's not getting enough - he will be!

Also, DD was still on 6 bottles every 24 hours at 9 months and three of those were in the day, so don't just assume he doesn't need them. My mindee had no milk during the day at the same age.

:)

missymood
24-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks that's interesting to read.
He had toast and pate last week and loved it. Only gave him one bit at a time and he seemed to be less panicky. Also gave him water with lunch and that went down well.:thumbsup:

mumto3
24-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I would say I wouldnt worry about the small amounts that he eats when with u as he will get all he needs from his milk anyway, its important to start concentrating more on the food they eat when they get to 12 months old, also I would keep offering him ur food and not get the parent to bring their own food in, otherwise when he gets to a year old when he may be slightly more fussy he may refuse ur food so best to start as u mean to go on and keep offering ur food, he will eat as much as he desires