PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for late fees???

vicky5432
14-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I have just started minding 2 girls after school, 2 days per week. It was very rushed set up she came for an informal chat ended up sorting out contracts then and there, ready for work to commence the following day.
We agreed payment would be made a month in advance and she would meet me at the school gates with the months payment. The first day she forgot her cheque book and said she would transfer staraight into account. The following day still no payment, she phoned to ask if she could pay in cash but when she arrived she only had a small amount of cash on her and again said she would transfer the payment.
I am nt due to hav her girls again til wed, so am giving her the benefit of the doubt but i thought for future reference i would charge a late payment fee, does anyone know what is an acceptable amount???
is it acceptable for me to tell her that unless payment is received by wed i will not be able to hav her girls until payment is received, as she is in breach if her contract??

chrissie250
14-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Dependant on which contract your using it will detail it all for you, i use NCMA ones and it outlines 1st payment date followed by payment every x and whether this is in advance or arrears, if it is in advance you have arranged then technically she yes is in breach of her contract and refusal until payment is made is the right thing to do, as i have found like i did! if you start off soft on payments etc they will take the micheal out of you!!
There excuses to me that she is using and i would not give anymore benefits of doubt and continue when full payment is recieved.....your not a charity!

HTH
Chrissie :)

vicky5432
14-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah the contract does state monthly payments in advance. I still have to pay for the fuel and food and drink etc even if she doesnt pay. I think i will get tough, as like u said she will think she can do it all the time if i dont. Thanks

chrissie250
14-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I do not like the side of this business when it includes money, money is an evil thing really and confrontation over it with a parent is never easy but they still find dropping off and collecting their child easy with no mention of money!! x

HELEN10
14-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I charge £5.00 per day which I have included in my contracts. I have recently charged fifteen pounds for 3 days late on a fairly new parent, she has made sure it has not been late since:)

hatty
14-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Hello ladies i am new to the site and have read this thread did you know that a late payment fee if it goes to court is not allowed. I found this out several years ago when one of my parents did not pay. I mow do not look after any child untill full payment is recieved.
Childminder of 14 years :)

vicky5432
15-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I was not aware of that, i think i will just tell her that unless payment is received before i am due to have her children, i wont be able to have them. Thanks everyone

miffy
15-05-2011, 04:59 PM
This parent has messed you about over fees from the off - she didn't pay on time - you need to get tough now or she will only continue to mess you about.

I have a £5 a day late payment fee written into all of my contracts although (touch wood) I've never had to use it.

Good luck I hope you get your money

Miffy xx

miffy
15-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Hello ladies i am new to the site and have read this thread did you know that a late payment fee if it goes to court is not allowed. I found this out several years ago when one of my parents did not pay. I mow do not look after any child untill full payment is recieved.
Childminder of 14 years :)

Hi Hatty and welcome to the forum.

Could I ask you why the late payment fee is not allowed?

Surely if it is stipulated in the contract that the parent signs and agrees to it can be charged?

Miffy xx

JOANNE
16-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I charge £5 a day, but again, thankfully never had to use it

vicky5432
17-05-2011, 01:11 PM
She finally paid although i did have to call her twice, but we got there in the end :)

miffy
17-05-2011, 02:01 PM
She finally paid although i did have to call her twice, but we got there in the end :)

Glad you got your money! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Milli147
17-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Some people have no shame! I would be too embarrassed to turn up with no money days on end and still expect you to have my child!!!! What planet are these people on, who think anyone works for nothing....do THEY???

Sorry, rant over:blush: