PDA

View Full Version : When you have potential parents

NicoleW
13-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Okay, so I need some more confidence in the way I approach parents when they visit my settings. I often find I'm lost for words, struggling what to say etc so I'd like to know what all you lovely childminders do.

Firstly, I always get the age of the child beforehand, and I set out some age appropiate toys. With babies I often get my sensory box out as I find they love it. I get my folder out ready with my certificates in and what-not. Make sure I always offer mum or dad a drink and then try and engage with the child.

What do you do if
a.) the child is shy and won't leave mum
b.) the child is confident and goes through all of your things, pressing buttons on TV's etc.

How do you open up your conversations?

Do you give them a parent pack full of your policies to read at home rather than in your setting?

Do you ever ask that you go to the parents house to see what their child is like in their home?

NicoleW
13-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Also, if I take pictures of my front room can you give me advice on the layout and maybe some suggestions on how I can make more use of my space or the deisgn of it?

Mouse
13-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Confidence definitely comes with time & practice.

My toys are always set out, so I just make sure I have age appropriate ones to hand. If I have a baby coming, i also make sure I have a freshly laundered blanket or mat for them to lie or play on. Sometimes babies are asleep for the whole visit, so you don't even get chance to interact with them :laughing:

If it's an older child, I ask them what they'd like to play with & show them
what we've got. If they start getting over-excited (which they often do) I am firm and stop them or lift them away from what they are doing. I don't have a TV in the room, but if I did & they were messing around with it, I'd say "I can see you like pressing buttons. The television's not to play with, so let's see what we can find with buttons on that you can press".
If you're in one room, maybe consider putting a gate on it as well. Children can be so inquisitive and want to roam everywhere. It makes it difficult to chat to parents if you're constantly having to chase after the child. Don't be afraid to take control and stop a child from wrecking your home!

If the child is shy, I tend to sit playing with something like building bricks while I'm talking to the parents. Every so often I'll pass one of the bricks to the child and ask if they'd like a go. Often they'll just come & join in once they see you & their parents chatting. If they really won't leave their parent and don't want to play, don't push it. Carry on talking and every now & again, speak to the child ("so, that sounds fun, doesn't it" etc)

I have a rough plan in my head of how the meeting is going to go - tell them about me, ask about them, the business side of it. I introduce myself, tell them a bit about me and how I work, what we do, what they can expect from me. I then ask if they've used childcare before, what their requirements are, ask about the child (routines, likes/dislikes etc), do they have any questions.
I then offer to make a drink and give them my portfolio & photo album to look at. This gives them time to have a chat, with me out of the room and to digest what I've told them. When I come back I ask if they have any more questions, then get onto the business side of it - fees, contracts etc.

It doesn't always work in that order as usually things do just tend to flow. It does help to have an idea of how to lead things though, in case conversation doesn't happen naturally.

miffy
15-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Do you have a parents brochure - a booklet with information about you, what you do etc etc which you can show parents? This is a great starting point for conversation and good if you worry about talking about yourself or think you might dry up.

Miffy xx

francinejayne
15-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Great advice from Mouse! I do pretty much the same!

In my experience though, only one of my potential parents were actually interested in my policies etc. I always give them the option of reading them, and tell them I will email them a copy if they wish to take a place with me - I don't give them a printed copy - too much paper!!

Parents have been more interested in me, the routine we have, where we go during the days, the food we eat, sleeping arrangements and lastly how much it costs!

Good luck!

buildingblocks
15-05-2011, 08:19 AM
i have been doing this 8 years now and still hate it. I never liked interview situations and I don't like new parent visits. I am uncomfortable and am not very confident doing them. The sooner they are over the better.He worst one was the mum of 14mth I have.

She came to met first time mother very reluctant to leave her child anywhere and stayed for three hours on her first visit. I felt she was constantly watching me and it made me very nervous (and I have been in childcare almost 30 years). She has turned out to be a brilliant parent to work with but that first visit !!!!!!

NicoleW
16-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Right, I've just phoned up a lady and she's coming around on wednesday this week with her little girl who is in the same school and same age as mine so bonus!

She's wary of my dogs, from personal experience but she's willing to consider me as we got on quite well on the phone.

I did say that if she chose to use me that I can keep the dogs and the children seperate at all times with safety gates and doors, HOWEVER I said it's their home as well and eventually after as much time as it takes I'd like for the dogs not to be constantly shut in the kitchen and maybe just seperated by one safety gate which is in the living room. Which she agreed with.

Wish me luck! Now.. Shall I give her my folder to read OR shall I put all my policies and procedures in a folder and let her take it home along with my brochure and business card?

buildingblocks
16-05-2011, 01:04 PM
on the dog front sell it to her as a plus point. Explain you consider all safety factors where the dogs are concerned. Explain that it will benefit her child as they will end up not being afraid of dogs