PDA

View Full Version : Achilles pain - problem - help please

Pipsqueak
11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have any othopedic, physio training???

Harry (middle son age 10) has Severs disease and he has been resting up from sport for the last 3 weeks (under the advice of the physio).

Tonight when he was walking home he felt a pop followed by a crunch about 1cm or so above where the heel joint is accompaned by a bad pain up his calf. Resulting in him not being able to walk properly. Its painful enough to keep him awake.

Have dosed him wth ibruprofen and we done the ice and heat.

Any advances on Severs about what it could be? Will get it checked tomorrow but he has his last SAT tomorrow morning.

Trouble
11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
big hugs harry xxx

sarah707
11-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Oh my that sounds painful! :(

I think Ajs has some experience of Achilles pain - it might be worth chatting to her if she's around.

Hugs to Harry xx

The Juggler
11-05-2011, 09:54 PM
ouch! sounds awful hon. no experience of Severs. Hope he feels better soonxx

AliceK
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
ouch!! It sounds like tendonitis (sp?) which I got last summer. It is SO painful and can last for a very long time, mine lasted for about 3 months, it was agony. Is the area very hot? I got some painkillers from Dr's as normal painkillers didn't touch it and I used cold compress in the evening when I was resting. The daytime I had it tightly bandaged up with adhesive bandages. I feel for him if this is what it is because I remember the pain so well. I did mine by tripping over a toy, the Dr said the slightest little thing can do it even just running upstairs.
xxxxx

Mouse
12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
ouch!! It sounds like tendonitis (sp?) which I got last summer. It is SO painful and can last for a very long time, mine lasted for about 3 months, it was agony. Is the area very hot? I got some painkillers from Dr's as normal painkillers didn't touch it and I used cold compress in the evening when I was resting. The daytime I had it tightly bandaged up with adhesive bandages. I feel for him if this is what it is because I remember the pain so well. I did mine by tripping over a toy, the Dr said the slightest little thing can do it even just running upstairs.
xxxxx

That's what I've got at the moment - in both ankles :( I've had it before, but only normally in one ankle at a time. This time I've had it in both since February. Just as I think it's starting to get better, I do something to strain it again & I'm back to square one. At times I can hardly walk because of the pain, even though I have strong painkillers from the doctor.
I'm just gratedul that I'm usually pushing a pushchair - at least it gives me something to hold on to!

Sorry Pipsqueak, I've highjacked your thread :blush: I hope your son gets some relief from the pain very soon xx

AliceK
12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
That's what I've got at the moment - in both ankles :( I've had it before, but only normally in one ankle at a time. This time I've had it in both since February. Just as I think it's starting to get better, I do something to strain it again & I'm back to square one. At times I can hardly walk because of the pain, even though I have strong painkillers from the doctor.
I'm just gratedul that I'm usually pushing a pushchair - at least it gives me something to hold on to!

Sorry Pipsqueak, I've highjacked your thread :blush: I hope your son gets some relief from the pain very soon xx

Oh my :eek: , you poor thing. I'm sitting here cringing at the moment remembering how painful it is. Hugs to you, I remember also the help that having a pushchair to lean on was. Hope it gets better soon

xxxx

Pipsqueak
12-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Well bad parent that I am sent him off to school.
Took James to the dentist and took him back to school - whilst I was chatting with the head (about an unrelated matter) Harry went past - without seeing me and he was tip-toeing/limping badly. I mentioned to the head (he is a sporty man) and he recommended that I take him get it checked and trotted after harry to get him!!!! lol

Anyway instead of uni i spent a good portion of my day in a&e - he thankfully has not ruptured (they don't think as its too rare in young children) the achilles but he has damaged it.

Their solution - go home and rest it.Yep great for a 10yr old! They wouldn't give him crutches or bind it up as he 'needs to stay of it and rest' . Come back in a couple of days if its no better or sooner if its getting worse. If its no better in a week or so go and see the GP for a referral to Orthapedics.

so they told me nothing I didn't know - although they were not impressed that I have dared to see a private physio for him and they have diagnosed Severs. Apparently a private diagnoses is not acceptable as they will tell you anything to keep you coming back:rolleyes: (in actual fact the physio bluntly said there really isn't much he can do and it would be a waste of money to keep coming back - 1 month he recommended if we felt he needed assistance).

Harry wanted to go back into school and insists he is going in tomorrow and adamant he is playing football next week.....

sigh

manjay
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
My 11 year old DD has had achillies tendonitis for the last 6 weeks. We have done all the usual rest, ice, bandages and it is still hurting her tonight as much as when she first did it. GP says it can take up to 6 mths and will probably need physio to get it better:(