PDA

View Full Version : Had my confidence knocked today.

Velleity
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I took my son to school this morning and I had with me the fully completed Registration Documents to post to Ofsted. After I had seen my son into the school, I stopped just outside the school gate to talk briefly with two other parents. I had, without much realising it, had my pushchair at a bit of an angle across the pavement, blocking another mum from getting past with her pushchair. She had said Excuse Me, and I hadn't heard initially, so she started shouting, 'HELLO?!! MOVE, HELLO, GET OUT THE WAY'.. So I did, and I went to apologise for being in her way, but she just started shouting and wouldn't stop. She called the three of us snobs and then went up the road ranting to herself. We talked for another minute and then I left too and could see her waiting a little way away for me. As soon as I reached her it started again. She called me a snob and then she said 'Instead of gossiping at the school gate, snob, you should take a look at your trainers (my trainers ARE a bit old lol .. I walk my son to school across country each day, more than a mile each way so am not inclined to wear quality shoes!), you're a tramp, look at the state of you. Worry about yourself you tramp'. And then it carried on, all the way up the street, personal insults, shouting etc.

My response ... was to cry. I feel so embarrased now. I went back to the school and sat in the office and cried. I felt so intimidated by this woman and I did not know how to deal with it. I wonder now .. what if one of the parents I end up having to work in close contact with is aggresive or someone that shouts too. I hate conflict. I'll do mostly anything to avoid it. I can't stand arguing with someone. Does this happen a lot in childminding? If it does, perhaps I should rethink becoming a childminder. Perhaps I am a bit too soft for it!

Pauline
11-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't be embarrassed, I think I would have cried too, it is horrible when someone behaves like that. :(

These type of people are thankfully in the minority so I wouldn't let them put you off, see it as an experience and use it to help you work out how you would react in future if something like that happened again.

If you see her again, hold your head up high, ignore her and walk on - it will be hard but people like that will not listen to reason so no point holding a conversation with her.

I can honestly say that in all my 27 years of childminding I have never had a parent like that, so don't let it worry you :)

Take care :)

singingcactus
11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
:eek: Kind of sounds like she is having some sort of break down!
I would honestly say that the outburst had nothing to do with childminding or even with you. I'd guess, because you responded positively initially to her when you apologised, she latched onto you as someone she could safely vent at - probably not consciously but at a subconscious level.
It will have had nothing to do with you - and even if she meant every word, the problem is still hers and not yours. Try not to dwell on it, though that is easy to say and hard to do. Try not to hold it against her either cos she really sounds like she is in some sort of mental/emotional crisis.

Mouse
11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
What a horrible woman. She obviously has some really serious jealousy issues :panic:

Like Pauline, I have never had a confrontation with a parents in 15 years of childminding (though I have shouted at a couple of childminders :blush: ).

Alibali
11-05-2011, 01:09 PM
How awful, sending cyber hugs.
I don't like confrontation either, and am quite soft but I've never had a parent behave like this towards me.
I have had other parents at school have a go at me as I am Chair of the parent council, and that made me cry too, but I have learned that this was nothing to do with me, these people needed to vent their anger, and I was the only one that would listen to them. I've had the snob thing too because of where we stay, but hey ho what can I dfo about that?! Everyone laughs at my shoes cos I wear old comfy Granny ones, but I don't care as lond as I don't get blisters.
Hope you're feeling a bit better xx

LOOPYLISA
11-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Sounds like she was having a bad day and you got the brunt of it :panic:

Hold your head up high and ignore the silly old :censored: :D

mummyof3
11-05-2011, 01:32 PM
One minute you are a snob the next a tramp :laughing: some people just look for trouble! If I'd have shouted at every person who got in my way with a buggy I'd be shouting EVERY day!

I'd just ignore her she sounds like she has issues ! :censored: woman. Who wears posh shoes for the school run I'm sure majority of us don't :rolleyes:

cheekycherub
11-05-2011, 01:36 PM
oh what a brut!! :eek:
i am currently pre reg and having my reg visit next week and ive often wondered about confrontation with parents because im like you, HATE conflict and if im honest would probably have cried in that situation too!
dont let it put u off childminding..hope u feel better now :group hug:
Hayley

acorns
11-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I had an experience like this when shopping and cried too. It can be quite frightening as you don't know what they're going to do next. In my case I just happened to glance at this woman who then launched into a tirade of abuse, including thrats to kill me:eek: . It knocked me also, but after a while I realised that as pp said she had the problem & not me. Hold you head high, she's sounds like a nutter!

Maza
11-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Poor you! I would have cried too. The problem is hers, not yours. I would mention it to the headteacher if she is also a parent of the school. They do like to be aware of such things even though they can't do anything about it. Have a nice cuppa/glass of wine and post your forms to Ofsted, you'll love it!

jelly15
11-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree that the woman must be having a type of breakdown, either that or she a sandwich short of a picnic. Think I would have popped into my local police station and told them I was being harassed in the street, a word from your local bobby might just make her think twice about targeting you next time.

Velleity
11-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm feeling much better and calmer now, thank you for the kind words!
Couldn't fit my Ofsted Registration into the postbox so will make a trip to the Post Office tommorow. Thinking of sending it by Special Delivery anyway. Anyway .. hopefully that will be the end of it. Managed to avoid her completely when picking my son up.

karen m
11-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I hate confrontation too and i would also of ended up in tears,hugs to you

rickysmiths
11-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Oh poor you.
I wonder what she would think of me with my side by side triple!!! :eek: I need a flashing light and sieren. Most people just wait for me to go past first and smile at the 3 boys inside :laughing: Sometimes I have to call out loud to say 'excuse me' on the school run. Schools are noisey.

I would let it woory you, see was having a bab day.

Katiekoo
11-05-2011, 04:15 PM
That is not what you can expect from your future customers... mostly! :laughing:

If you ever did have a customer that dreadful you could easily give notice.
Please don't let this put you off, you sound like the kind of sensitive person that will be excellent with little children.

flora
11-05-2011, 04:22 PM
how awfull for you and for the record I would have cried too. Not quiet discreet sobs but probably those awfull loud ones where your nose runs and your face looks like a beetroot, so you are not alone :thumbsup:

Don't let an isolated incedent put you off.