PDA

View Full Version : Ok now im going Crazy ! Planning !

sas
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
had my developement officer over for the past three months ! and....... i now have short term meduim term and long term plans in place along with sessions during the week for next steps ! now i have totally confused my self and shes comming out next week to see it All completed and as for observations im just completely lost now ! as to where they should be going in :(
am i doing too much ? but this is what she wants to see ! and is telling me what ofsted wants

sarah707
10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Ofsted want to see you reacting to a child's observations by planning activities that will help the child to learn more or enjoy what he is doing more.

Ofsted also want to see over 3s involved in group activities that teach them about the world and things like road safety, healthy eating... and following their interests with subjects such as minibeasts, shapes, nature etc.

How you write this down depends on you. You might try 3 or 4 different ways until you find one that suits you.

I hope that helps :D

sas
10-05-2011, 09:10 PM
the plans look great i think they will work well but im struggling with the content you know activity's and also trying to show the "retrospective" planning too

kells_bells
11-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm struggling with activity planning, I know that it should be easy peasy as we do stuff every day but I'm trying to get a folder of activities that hit an area of the 6 areas, I've got two so far :blush: Our song bag and a pasta touchy geeky activity.

sas
11-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm struggling with activity planning, I know that it should be easy peasy as we do stuff every day but I'm trying to get a folder of activities that hit an area of the 6 areas, I've got two so far :blush: Our song bag and a pasta touchy geeky activity.

we have things like colouring in a sunflower with numbered pettals :) in the garden we have been planting "speedy" seeds like carrots, tomatoes etc.. the potatoes we planted last febuary, we make our own play dough, bake our own cakes and even shop for the ingrediants :) we try to plan around the seasons so the four seasons go into the long term plan along with different festivals ! you can do a religious thing once a week but that me be going a little far ! in autm we went collecting leaves and counted as we went

sarah707
11-05-2011, 05:26 PM

A lot of your normal activities - eating, sleeping, washing hands, going for a walk etc - already meet the 6 areas of learning and development before you start thinking about other planning!

:D

MAWI
11-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree with Sarah, A lot is already covered. Sounds a bit like overload to me.

When I had my inspection recently, Mrs O was not interested in Long Term planning. Yes, I had done long Term planning ( Muliticultural and Topics) but I did say to her that we were not slave to it and infact sometimes we dont do it at all. I was confident in the fact that I could cover what I intended to do( areas and aspects of EYFS) in some other form or activity etc...
She much prefered my weekly planning that was based on previous weeks obs and planning that followed each child's interests and learning styles as they change so often. Even when I plan for next week from their interest this week, it can still go off on a tangent and she was happy with this, infact loved it. She focused on what I knew about each child and their interests, not some topic that they had not been interested in.
She also said that each childminder she visits has a unique planning system. She did not get mine at first, but I could prove to her that it worked for me. I was confident in my knowledge and politely disagreed with her when she questioned it, she did eventually agree with me. !!!

Sorry for the long winded response, but I just want you to not panic about all this planning you think you must do. Im at the stage where I dont take any advice from my CMDO shes that Bad, but Im sure that cannot be the case for everyone.

sas
11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I agree with Sarah, A lot is already covered. Sounds a bit like overload to me.

When I had my inspection recently, Mrs O was not interested in Long Term planning. Yes, I had done long Term planning ( Muliticultural and Topics) but I did say to her that we were not slave to it and infact sometimes we dont do it at all. I was confident in the fact that I could cover what I intended to do( areas and aspects of EYFS) in some other form or activity etc...
She much prefered my weekly planning that was based on previous weeks obs and planning that followed each child's interests and learning styles as they change so often. Even when I plan for next week from their interest this week, it can still go off on a tangent and she was happy with this, infact loved it. She focused on what I knew about each child and their interests, not some topic that they had not been interested in.
She also said that each childminder she visits has a unique planning system. She did not get mine at first, but I could prove to her that it worked for me. I was confident in my knowledge and politely disagreed with her when she questioned it, she did eventually agree with me. !!!

Sorry for the long winded response, but I just want you to not panic about all this planning you think you must do. Im at the stage where I dont take any advice from my CMDO shes that Bad, but Im sure that cannot be the case for everyone.

thankyou !! shes realy worrying me ! so much so that we cancelled her for this week :( but shes determind to sort our Sef out on yet another visit, this i do need because im Not a Gradute in englis so i can understand the wording !

Ohh as for Planning does anyone have any activity ideas for June ?

Number twenty 2
13-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Your development officer sounds like she wants you to be a teacher - without the pay! I concur with others who have said that it is most important to respond to children's interests and preferences and remain flexible in what you do and when. Although it is also important to provide a range of other activities, as the children then get the opportunity to change their interests and preferences if it suits them. Retrospective planning is really recording, and you should only record what might actually be of some use in the future.

Ideas for how to plan flexibly and responsively are contained within the K System (details in the business advertising section at the bottom of the home page). You need to remember what is important for the children (i.e. that their needs are met), and be prepared to fight your corner. Know why you are doing things the way that you are, and be prepared to explain your reasoning to whoever questions it. You know the children better than they do.

As for activities for June, it depends on the age of the children but summer, beaches (shells etc), sun safety, building sun shelters, holidays, travelling to and from holidays, airplanes, picnics etc come to mind immediately. If you start with these things and have a brain storming session you could come up with loads of stuff. However, I advise that you draft out some planning, ensuring that overall it covers all the areas of learning, gather resources together, but keep it flexible as to when to introduce it.

Hope this helps