PDA

View Full Version : A question for the hen keepers

singlewiththree
06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Do you let them out when you are working? I'm not working at the moment so let them out and I usually do it again after work but I'm starting to feel guilty at the time in the run. Do you give them something to peck at or let them out?

debratina
06-05-2011, 09:27 AM
hi i let my 5 chickens out everyday as the garden is well enclosed however they have ruined my garden - they have eaten every blade of grass!
so at the end of the month we are going to section a part of the garden off for them and returf the rest of the garden.
Debra

singlewiththree
06-05-2011, 09:38 AM
hi i let my 5 chickens out everyday as the garden is well enclosed however they have ruined my garden - they have eaten every blade of grass!
so at the end of the month we are going to section a part of the garden off for them and returf the rest of the garden.
Debra

Do you find the children leave them alone and its safe for both hens with children playing and for children with hen poo? They have a large run double the size it needs to be and I've enriched it with dangling treats and CD's and perches of different heights but they much prefer to be in the garden.

dobby
06-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I have just spent alot of money doing my garden-new fencing,turf,new storage shed for bikes and toys plus a new chicken coop and avairy panales to make an enclosed area for them. Like Debra I used to let mine out every day to free range but they ruined the garss and the poo got everywhere, even though I was very careful about cleaning yp before the kids would play out.

For the first couple of weeks they were desperate to get out to the grass but we have hung cabbages up and lots of green stuff and they are a bit more settled now and dont rush to the door as quickly! But they will always prefer the grass to their run as its a bit like being on a diet and having a cake shop in view!:) :)

Personally I would leave them in the run if they have plenty of space and enjoy your grass poo free!

Ripeberry
06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
My 3 hens are in a large run at the bottom of the garden and the ducks have a smaller cordoned off section to themselves. The whole run is dirt as the hens have been digging non stop.
No way am i letting them in the rest of the garden :eek:

But they do get bits of grass and dandelions fed to them by the mindees through the fence :D

debratina
06-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Paula
because of the weather and the state of the garden i don't let my mindees out we tend to go to the park alot. its difficult to explain how it will work when we have re done the garden as i have two side gardens and a back yard. i have found an easy way of cleaning the poo up off the yard. hosing it down with water and bleach and then with a window wiper thing (with a rubber blade on) stick it on to a broom handle the then sweep the poo into a pile and throw.
Debra