PDA

View Full Version : The very hungry caterpillar

breezy
27-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I love this book, all the kids I mind love this book, my kids love this book, even my ofsted inspector said it was a great book!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have done loads of activities around it too, everyone should have this book!
Eric Carle does lots of other good insect books too :)

mumtodaniel
27-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I must get this book, I do know it, as I occasionally help out at a pre-school and the kids love it their too.

sarah707
27-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a story sack for this book - it's the children's favourite :D

Spangles
27-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who's not keen on this book!

I don't like the style of the pictures, I think they're messy and unclear! Ha ha!

I do have a copy though!

angeldelight
27-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I have this book and I dont like the style of it either Lorri I agree with you

I think the pictures could be nicer

The kids like the story though

Angel xx

donnahay0
27-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't have this book and I should get it as I always have to borrow it from the library. I love doing the butterflies and caterpillars theme with the children there is so many things you can do and the kids love it.

breezy
27-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I have this book and I dont like the style of it either Lorri I agree with you

I think the pictures could be nicer

The kids like the story though

Angel xx

Didn't think this would be your kind of book, especially the last page:laughing:

I have a hard back version with holes through what he eats!

We have done our own pictures for it though, the favourite being the ice cream cone!

angeldelight
27-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Hahaha yes I know just what you mean - horrible picture haha

Angel xx

jo f
27-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I absoutely love this book and have recently included it in my planning for my local cm group (its my turn).
Just wondering has anyone got any stuff which they could pass onto me on the topic- food pics etc
Would be very greatful!
Jo

tomthumb
29-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I am doing my story sack for the very hungry caterpillar and I found this website really useful

http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/hungrycaterpillar/index.htm

Hope it helps!

Elodie

angeldelight
29-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you for that Elodie

Angel xx

kats
29-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Can i ask what a story sack is, i keep seeing it talked about but im not sure exactly what it is, thankyou
kats xx

Tily Bud
29-04-2008, 08:12 PM
The children i care for love this book also x i have also made a story sack for it using some of the picture from dltk - kids, a hungry caterpillar game, jigsaw, dvd, I just need the soft toy and a book about caterpillars and butterflies then its done x

Have you read one of his other books called ' Brown Bear, Brown Bear ' the children also like this x

sarah707
29-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Can i ask what a story sack is, i keep seeing it talked about but im not sure exactly what it is, thankyou
kats xx

It's a bag... or a box... filled as Cheryl suggests above... I have all sorts of props for the story including pictures of the food items, a finger puppet caterpillar, a butterfly, a hole punch and paper... and of course the book!

They are good for children to use independently and some of my story sacks have gone home for weekends before now as they are great for parents to use with the children - just expect the odd bit to get lost then you're not disappointed :D

kats
29-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thankyou Sarah, they sound like good fun to make x

sarah707
29-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Here's some more information - :D

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/socialinclusion/earlyyears/storysackspractice.html

miffy
29-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Some patterns here for story sacks or to colour in

http://kizclub.com/storypatterns/caterpillar(C).pdf

miffy xx

kats
30-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Sarah the article was really usefull, im off to make my first story sack:)

ma7ie
30-04-2008, 01:19 PM
thanks to everyone for the links.

breezy
30-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Our local library lets you borrow story sacks so it's worth asking in your local library if they have any, or which library in your area does them. :)

brillminder
13-08-2008, 06:06 PM
check out story sacks here for more info , i love them have about 20 now :laughing:They will send a book for ordering from if you complete form and you can but spares etc, so good if you make your own and want a special item :)

http://www.storysack.com/

ageinghippy
02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me!!

I recently did a Storywalk based on this book with a couple of other childminders and 20+ children ages from 1-11. The feedback was fantastic.

We met up in the local park, the older children took turns in reading a couple of pages each. We walked round the park, stopping every now and then to read a bit more story. We collected leaves, daisies etc to stick on our caterpillars. Looked or leaves which had been nibbled by caterpillars.
Enjoyed a food tasting session of all the foods in the story, made butterflies and played games, caterpillar(instead of coloured) corners, butterfly (instead of musical)statues etc

The children(and childminders) loved it!!

Kate :)

Polly2
03-06-2009, 07:24 AM
http://www.thevirtualvine.com/theveryhungrycaterpillar.html

Some good stuff here

cmlr
27-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I think the title may put some people off - people like me - as it has a similar title to a song by a pop group.

However, going beyond the cover, the book is fine. My children like it, even though I'm less keen.