PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated - waiting for 'childminder briefing sessions'

Jude86
03-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm in England so its OFSTED and our county council that I'm dealing with (I think?)

I contacted the FIS (family information service) through the county council to ask about what my first steps are with registering as a childminder.

They passed the email on to the person who books people onto the 'childminder briefing sessions' (I assume this is the same thing as a pre-reg session?) and she got back to me saying there are none running in our area at the moment but she would put me on the waiting list and call as soon as she heard when the next ones would be. I also initially asked if there was a pack they could send out (I assumed there would be a booklet or something?) but she just said to wait for a phone call.

That email was on the 12th of April so about 3 weeks ago and she said 'we are hoping to hear the new dates within the next few weeks'.

Should I just wait for a call or should I contact them again to make sure my details haven't been lost somewhere? Have I even contacted the right people or is there another way of going about things?

Is there anything else that I can be doing in the meantime? - I've got some books out of the library which I'm working my way through as general research. I've wanted to do this for sooo long, now we are just getting to the point of being ready to do it (kids at a good stage for me to take this on as well, house is very close to being ready etc) and I feel like there's a brick wall at the first hurdle.

JulieA
04-05-2011, 07:08 AM
I think it depends on the Local Authority. However where I live it was the Family Information Service that organised the pre-reg meeting, the ICP course and the Ofsted registration.

I would contact them again, to ask if they have any idea how long til they expected the next course to start.

Hope you don't have to wait too long.

Pixie dust
04-05-2011, 07:08 AM
It can take a while as there have been budget cuts lots of councils have cut back. They maybe waiting until they have enough interest before putting on a session.
It took me 4 months to get on one in our local area. They wouldn't give me any of the paperwork before hand which can be frustrating when you know you defiantly want to become a childminder. Then you have to wait for Ofsted and complete the ICP course.

It is a long process so you have to be patient it took me nearly a year from when I first decided.

Demonjill
04-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi im in Scotland so things bit different here.

But speaking from experience of registering before and re-registering now(long story) i would def give them a call asap and another call the next day etc etc until you know things are moving along.

So much of my wait first time around was from lack of communication or 1 person not passing on the message to the next person etc

Better to phone now and make sure things are moving along than wait and then find out they are not IYKWIM lol

Good luck :thumbsup:

Jude86
04-05-2011, 07:42 AM
It can take a while as there have been budget cuts lots of councils have cut back. They maybe waiting until they have enough interest before putting on a session.
It took me 4 months to get on one in our local area. They wouldn't give me any of the paperwork before hand which can be frustrating when you know you defiantly want to become a childminder. Then you have to wait for Ofsted and complete the ICP course.

It is a long process so you have to be patient it took me nearly a year from when I first decided.

I did wonder if it might be this. Glad its not just me! Maybe I will just send another quick email to check that they still have me on the list and also let them know that I'm willing to travel if need be (we are in a large county, I would be surprised if there are none running anywhere at all...?)

Louise317
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I applied for the course last March and didn't get onto a course for 8mths because the trainer was on maternity leave!! do they not hear of maternity cover!!

I would certainly keep in touch with them, make sure you name down and keep checking on date progress.

You could download the books that you'll work from and think about what policies you want to create.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DCSF-00261-2008

HTH :)

Louise0208
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
My council & early years team were useless at passing on details & putting people on lists.....& the amount of times i was told 'someone would call me back' ....and never did :mad: .....so i just pestered the hell out of them & asked for direct numbers & kind of sorted it myself, my freind who i met on my ICP also had the same issues.

Jude86
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
A question to those who have also had problems/had to wait a long time to hear back about a course what county did/do you live in? I'm in Lancashire. I did hear from some childminders at a toddler group (although it was around this time last year maybe) that they are desperately short of childminders in my area so I thought they would maybe be more inclined to get people interested...

Thinking about it, when my friend went back to work about 6 months ago she also struggled to find a childcare place for her LOs. Grr...

Jude86
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I applied for the course last March and didn't get onto a course for 8mths because the trainer was on maternity leave!! do they not hear of maternity cover!!

I would certainly keep in touch with them, make sure you name down and keep checking on date progress.

You could download the books that you'll work from and think about what policies you want to create.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DCSF-00261-2008

HTH :)

I have been reading on and off about EYFS for the last year or so, partly because I was hoping to childmind but also because I'm generally interested as my DD started pre-school last september and is going to school this september.

My first priority is sorting out the house, there are bits of childproofing that need finishing off and all those odd decorating jobs that need finishing off (finally an excuse!) but I suppose I can keep a note of what we do and how we arrange the rooms etc while we do it to form part of my risk assessment.

Once I know we are on track with the house I'm going to start work on researching policies etc and consolidating all my activities that we do with my own children into some kind of notebook so I can refer to them when I eventually do start minding.

I am also practising with my own children in terms of routine (when its just me and them we have been known to stay in our pyjamas until 10am) which will help for when DD goes to school in Sept anyway, and I am also thinking more conciously about the activities we do - I know that I am instinctively observing them all the time anyway and helping them choose activities based on their ability and interests but I am trying to get into the mindset of actively noticing what I do, when, how and why so that having to do observations on other children will hopefully come more easily.

Can't wait, can't wait :clapping:

mummyMia
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I have been on a waiting list for a brifing session since November 2009 (yes 2009, not 2010!!!). The council said there have been budget cuts and that they don't really need more childminders anyway as existing minders have plenty of vacancies. About 6 months after going on the waiting list I was told that if I wanted I could register on my own without their help. That is what I decided to do. I arranged and paid for the CYPOP5 and first aid courses myself. Then I downloaded the Ofsted application pack online and sent it off. Ofsted is coming this Friday for my first visit:clapping: There is no way that I could have done it all without this brilliant forum!

The council said that once I am registered I should just let them know and that they will then assign me a development officer.

I may mention to the Ofsted inspector that I haven't been on a briefing session but I doubt that this is going to prevent me from being registered.

So if it looks like you are in for a very long wait you could consider this option, but it does mean that you miss out on any potential funding.

Twinkle-Toes
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I agree with pp, i have attended a briefing session but really if you read this forum and research childminding in general there wasn't anything they told me i didn't know.

You can get the forms from the Ofsted website.

I can always scan and email you the info i got from mine (Doncaster council) if you'd like a look?

Take care
Kate

Toothfairy
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
It took me 9 months to register from start to finish.
It's not a quick process. CRB's take ages to come through, First Aid courses get booked up way in advance and then there's the ICP course. My first one got cancelled and I had to wait for another date.

I hope you get there quicker than I did! :thumbsup:

Jude86
04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with pp, i have attended a briefing session but really if you read this forum and research childminding in general there wasn't anything they told me i didn't know.

You can get the forms from the Ofsted website.

I can always scan and email you the info i got from mine (Doncaster council) if you'd like a look?

Take care
Kate

I would love it if you could do that for me. Will PM my email address now.

Does anyone know if OFSTED will hold it against you for not doing a briefing session? Also, would I totally miss out on the chance for any funding if I didn't go to the briefing session? We live in an area of high social deprivation so I was hoping there /might/ be some available on that basis.

Is there anywhere else I can get help or support from other than the FIS?

Jude86
04-05-2011, 07:22 PM
It took me 9 months to register from start to finish.
It's not a quick process. CRB's take ages to come through, First Aid courses get booked up way in advance and then there's the ICP course. My first one got cancelled and I had to wait for another date.

I hope you get there quicker than I did! :thumbsup:

I am quite prepared for it taking upwards of 6 months to become registered but what's annoying me is that I can't even start the process because when I contacted the council all they could say was 'wait for a session but we don't know when or where it will be'...

missymood
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi
Don't forget your safeguarding course and first aid as Ofsted will not give your certifciate unless this has been done.

My funding was with Hampshire and the NCMA took ages as we were the first ones to go through this way. In the end I called Ofsted and arranged for the CRB and Doctors forms to come out myself. Can't be waiting for them to sort thiemselves out:D

mummyMia
06-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I had my pre-reg visit today and mentioned to the inspector that I haven't been to a pre-briefing session and she was a little surprised but it didn't seem to be a problem. If I hadn't mentioned it I don't think she would have ever even known!

She said that councils are not allowed to prevent you from registering, even if they already have far too many childminders or they have had budget cuts, because as the end of the day you are self employed.

With regards to the funding, I had to pay for my own first aid/CYPOP 5 and the council won't be giving me any sort of startup grant. Once I am fully registered, I will be treated the same as all other registered childminders and will then be able to attend funded courses and receive any grants in the same way as other existing minders.

kentcfis
11-05-2011, 12:45 PM
You can also register online...
https://online.ofsted.gov.uk/OnlineOfsted/Default.aspx

We would always suggest doing the Briefing Session and DHC-1 / ICP first however...

mandynunn84
15-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I have been on a waiting list for a brifing session since November 2009 (yes 2009, not 2010!!!). The council said there have been budget cuts and that they don't really need more childminders anyway as existing minders have plenty of vacancies. About 6 months after going on the waiting list I was told that if I wanted I could register on my own without their help. That is what I decided to do. I arranged and paid for the CYPOP5 and first aid courses myself. Then I downloaded the Ofsted application pack online and sent it off. Ofsted is coming this Friday for my first visit:clapping: There is no way that I could have done it all without this brilliant forum!

The council said that once I am registered I should just let them know and that they will then assign me a development officer.

I may mention to the Ofsted inspector that I haven't been on a briefing session but I doubt that this is going to prevent me from being registered.

So if it looks like you are in for a very long wait you could consider this option, but it does mean that you miss out on any potential funding.

Do you know the link for the ofstead download forms as i cant seem to find the bit on the website!!! thank you xx

mandynunn84
15-06-2011, 08:17 AM
sorry just seen the above link... so not awake yet!! x

kerry1
20-06-2011, 12:10 PM
hello,
i know your pain,i have been waiing since jan 2011 and i am really excited about starting childminding but the waiting is really getting me frustrated they just keep saying " waiting for budget,

i might look into starting it myself without briefing sessions, cause with the time it takes. I be looking to start nxt yea now

hope you hear from someone soon.... which area are you in??

kerry

sharonmanc
20-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I got intouch in my area (Oldham) in feb/march and just heard back, and have a place for ealy July onthe pre reg - thank God, I cant believe how much they drag their feet, and it feels like forever when you are so keen too start too.

The Juggler
21-06-2011, 06:13 AM
when I was first looking into it the briefing sessions were monthly except over the summer when they didnt' run. Now we have them once a quarter in our area.:(

Faye1980
25-06-2011, 12:34 AM
i was really lucky with my breifing session, i phoned NCMA September 09 and by November 09 i had my breifing session, i started DHC1 in January 2010 and by march 2010 i was all ready for ofsted. I didnt start minding untill march this year tho, but I LOVE IT. So dont lose faith and give up guys, keep pestering lol. My friend is in the same boat as you shes STILL WAITING! lol xx

HomefromHome
25-06-2011, 07:52 AM
do you have a county childminding association???? we do here and i did everything through them (albeit nearly 5 years ago).... migth be worth finding out. :)