PDA

View Full Version : Help planning for 6yr old after schooler

lwilkins
03-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi ladies,

I have been having a 6 yr old boy after school everyday, and have tried offering various activities including art & craft, park trips, and construction, but all he wants to do is play on the games consoles! I have spoken to his mum about this and she said to just let him if thats what he wants to do. But that just doesn't seem right to me... i don't think that it is good for him to be on them all the time. Any ideas on how to get his interest away from them please????

Lisa

sarah707
03-05-2011, 08:54 PM
It can be really tough when older children are used to playing consoles at home - they can get quite resentful if you say no.

I have a rule - TV after tea only. I allow computers for short periods as well... but they are timed and then they are turned off.

I think it's my house and my rules and the child has to fit in with that.

Good luck :D

lwilkins
03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Sarah.

Am feeling at a complete loss as he just is not interested in anything i else i set up for him to do...?!?

Lisa

charlie potato
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I had this issue with my 9 yr old mindee. I've found that i have just had to say no and put up with the sulking after letting him have a limited time on the console. I agreed this with mum before hand and we both luckily had the same attitude towards this so he was given the same rules at my house as at home.
He does get given 'projects' by school termly so i encourage him to do it with me (about an hour) because then when hes at home he gets more fun time with mum. Apart from that its free play. xx