PDA

View Full Version : Crying during settling visits

md0u0131
27-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm a new childminder - have just started with my first child - she is 8months old and I have my own 2 year old daughter at home too.

The little girl has just had her first settling visit - just for an hour.

Well she cried for 35mins then fell asleep for the rest of the time!!!

Please tell me this is normal - am feeling a bit :ohdear: about the whole thing at the moment!!

sarah32
27-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Ive just recently taken on a 8 month old, 1st week was a nightmare, screamed pretty well the whole time he was here, wouldnt let me do anything, only time he was quiet was when asleep.

Hes on his 2nd week, only comes to me 2 days a week and he settled so much, we have a few tears on the tuesday morning but after thats hes happy to play on the floor and today no tears at all.

It takes time, she will settle:)

sarah707
27-04-2011, 04:51 PM
It can take a while for little ones to settle especially if they are not used to being left with someone different.

Give it time and yourself a hug for getting through a stressful day xx

cs01
28-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm a new childminder - have just started with my first child - she is 8months old and I have my own 2 year old daughter at home too.

The little girl has just had her first settling visit - just for an hour.

Well she cried for 35mins then fell asleep for the rest of the time!!!

Please tell me this is normal - am feeling a bit :ohdear: about the whole thing at the moment!!

I think your little one did pretty well actually. My new mindee (now on day 6 over a 3 week period) screams (very loudly!) most of the time. First time in my childminding career that I am physically and mentally exhausted by lunchtime :(

caz3007
28-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I think its pretty normal. I look after a little boy who started with me when he was 1 and he cried a lot and I was thinking, I dont know if I can cope with this long term but he did quickly settle and he was only one day a week, so he did really well.

Dont forget they are too young to understand whats happening, and suddenly if mum has been their main carer, she has gone and they need to get used this new person who is trying to interact with them.

Hope LO settles quickly and well done on getting through the visit

jane5
28-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I mind my nephew and he started with me at 8 months. He knew me and loved me but his mum was around most of the time before she went back to work.

The first few days I had him he cried all the time, he use to cling to me and wouldnt let me put him down.

I think the lo's have to get use to not having their mum around all the time and it takes a while for them to adjust rather than the fact that they dont like being with you iykwim.

This is very normal and will get better :thumbsup:

christine e
28-04-2011, 06:55 PM
This is pretty normal in my experience. When babies came to me much younger (3- 5months) they settled much better but now parents have longer maternity leave and babies are starting at around 8 months they take longer to settle becuase they are much more aware of things at that age.

Good luck - it will get better

Cx

md0u0131
30-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you all for reassuring me.

I didn't expect it to be easy obviously but I guess starting something new you always wonder if its just you!!

We have two more settling visits this week so we'll see.....

louised
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
It's perfectly normal for an 8 month old to get upset when they are left by their primary carer, 8 months is when 'seperation anxiety' kicks in and is a perfectly normal part of a childs development. The last 8 month old I took on cried for 10 weeks:eek:

catswhiskers
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Suppose it depends on time of day you had little one? Was he/she due for nap/bottle/certain toy? Only you will get to know this in the future.

miffy
02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
All sounds very normal behaviour for the child's age.

Fingers crossed the visits this week are better for you both.

Miffy xx

md0u0131
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks again - she's back tomorrow so fingers crossed!

md0u0131
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Well today's visit was much better!

I have discovered she loves water - so we did lots of water play, still a bit of crying initially but she settled much quicker than last week.

cs01
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Thats a relief for you I'm sure. Things can only better :clapping: