PDA

View Full Version : Activities for my autistic child

gemma.windsor
20-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey

I have two boys that I take care of both are brothers one is 6 the other 4... the 4 year old I have no problem with, however the 6 year old well he suffers from autisim... and I just have no experience with this... I know I should of thought about before I decided to take him on... but it was a financial decision in the end. Anyway I am trying to make the most it right so does anyone have any suggestion what kind of activities I can do with him because he just seems to want to run around and do completely random stuff all day, that's no a problem but at the same time I have to keep a my eyes on the 4 year old... so I need some way I can stabilize him so that I can keep my on both of them

angeldelight
20-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Gemma

To be honest the little girl I minded enjoyed all what the other children did

Simple cooking ie biscuits or nice and easy rice crispy cakes - she loved getting involved in this way and because she did not have a lot of concentration it was not a long activity that bored her half to death

Also making dough and using their hands to play with it and make shapes

Gloop another simple good one that they can enjoy.

What about some painting - paint his hands etc - sit outdoors and do it in this nice weather

Chalk - all children love this

If the child enjoys running around what about some outdoor sports - having races - catching bean bags and balls etc use some old scarves to swing around etc

Balloons in the garden

All the above you can do with both children

I would do all what you usually do but adding extra time and extra patience for the child

Most of all enjoy - it does not have to be hard work

Angel xx

gigglinggoblin
20-04-2011, 09:43 AM
What seems random to you may not be random to him. What have his parents suggested? Many autistic children dont need to be treated much differently to any other child, all I would advise is that you make sure the contact between you and parents is really good. If it is early days you might also find he settles down, change can be really stressful so the first few weeks you will probably see more stressed behaviour and it will hopefully get easier for him when he gets used to his new surroundings and routine. Actually routine is probably a good way to calm him, try to do things in order or at certain times so he knows whats coming. If he responds well to the idea you could also make a visual timetable so he knows what to expect, that often helps.

Often an autistic child will have obsessions with certain things, trains is fairly common and lots of them love thomas the tank engine until they are quite old, you need to ask the parents and/or the child what they like and want to do. My son is usually really easy to entertain once you know what his thing is at the moment, often all he needs is a massive pile of books on the subject.

You dont say how the autism affects the child so its a bit tricky to suggest much, autism could mean anything from completely non verbal to extremely bright to very set in their ways or a hundred other things. Tbh I would follow the childs lead, ask the parents and put out all the stuff you would for any other 6 year old - drawing, painting, lego, board games, books, cars, train set, balls etc.

gemma.windsor
21-04-2011, 08:30 AM
thanks heaps for the ideas everyone :) much appreciated I think I know what I will do now :)

ZoeAlli
21-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Gemma,
I have just taken on a lo who maybe on the Autistic Spectrum. Lo loves being outdoors as there is loads of space for them as well as ride-ons, balls, scooters and a slide.
We have recently put in a den area, which is also well used.
The lo loves water play, has spent up to 3/4 hour playing with the water shoot, putting balls, sticks, stones and other things on it and washing them down with water.
Lo likes tactile and sensory things. Particularly likes
http://www.sensorytoywarehouse.com/All/TOUCH/Balls/RING--STRETCHY/p-135-95-101-1222/ (got mine cheaper at Wilkinsons though, also notist pound shop sells balls that are similar.
loves messy play- some ideas here
http://www.nurseryactivityideas.co.uk/category/messy-play

Last week I put a large mat outside on the grass and put flour on it- the fun all the children had with it was great. They rolled in it, made piles with it, and even had a supervised (didn't want them to at first but they really enjoyed it) flour fight. Best part was we followed with bubble blowing :rolleyes:
My ds had flour & bubble glued hair!!
Sorry for long post but hth. :)

onceinabluemoon
22-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Just a word of warning before you spend out...

Some autistic/aspergers children also have sensory issues and absolutely abhor anything messy/itchy/scratchy on their skin.

wellybelly
22-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Local Authorities may be able to help you purchase some resources to support the child in your setting, don't be afraid to ask them for support x