PDA

View Full Version : Storing cleaning products???

smithya85
26-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Hello everyone!

Could anyone advise me, is it alright to store cleaning products under the kitchen sink cupboard i.e. low down as long as you have a child safety lock on the cupboard? I would include this in my risk assesment of kitchen and I wont be alowing the children into the kitchen anyway. Is this allowed? Feels like I have to completely remodel my home and move EVERYTHING around before I can childmind! :(

Amy

ajs
26-04-2008, 08:34 AM
i am very lucky that i have a cellar so i don't need to keep cleaning stuff in the kitchen but i personally wouldn't keep stuff under the sink even with a cupboard lock as children seem to find it easy to open the locks.

if you have a gate on your kitchen door to stop the kids getting in maybe that would be ok

i know it's a pain but haven't you got anywhere else that you can keep them

flora
26-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Kids have to go through my kitchen to get to the loo/ conservatory and outside. I keep washing up liquid on the windowsill by the sink, it's beyond arms reach by a long way. " PROPER" cleaning stuff is up high in a cupboard in the utility room.

Have you anywhere in your kitchen that is unaccessable unless a kid got a ladder and full climbing gear???? Oftsed said you have to show that you have taken all conceivable precautions to make sure that they don't get their hands on it.

If you think your cupboard lock is ok and the kids have no access to your kitchen then I would say that is ok. But as Mandy says, some locks prevent no challenge for little fingers :(

crazybones
26-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I bought a lockable wire basket from MFI for my cleaning products as I didnt have a suitable high cupboard. It wasnt cheap but worth it as Will (my own 2 year old) can open 2 different types of safety lock:angry:

Twinkles
26-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I keep mine in the utility room.

Don't forget dishwasher powder , it can be lethal. It's a pain to keep it away from the kitchen but worth the peace of mind.

It may be ok to keep it in your - locked - under sink cupboard if the children never have access to the kitchen - going through it to the loo, eating , messy play.

wendywu
26-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Mines in a low kitchen cupboard with a child lock on. The kitchen is in the middle of both rooms the children play in so they go through it. It is in my risk assessment and i got outstanding. So it must be OK.:)

Tatia
26-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Mine is under the sink in the kitchen with a child safety lock, as well. Has never been an issue at OFSTED inspections or with network risk assessments.

Tickles
26-04-2008, 02:49 PM
mines is under sink with cupboard lock & the cco know where it is & it's never been a problem

got bathroom cleaning things in vanity unit with cupboard lock as well

I know ofsted may be different but we are allowed but there must always be a cupboard catch or lock

Joanne

Polly2
26-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Mine is under sink with child lock on and also a gate preventing children from coming into kitchen.

They do have to walk through to go to the loo but I always accompany them.

inspector was fine with this

Alibali
26-04-2008, 03:39 PM
It's the old inconsistency thing with Care commission officers again!! I was told that I had to move all alcohol and cleaning products to a high cupboard with locks on! Just your luck on who inspects I suppose. But if you have done a risk assessment and can prove there is minimal risk I believe it should be ok.

Ali xx

sarah707
26-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Mine is under the kitchen sink with a lock... :D

tulip0803
26-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Mine is in a low cupboard in the utility part of the kitchen. I have a gate to go across the entrance. I think if you risk assess and say that they are in a locked cupbaord and children will not be allowed in the kitchen (have a high catch on the kitchen door as back-up) they will be perfectly happy.:)

miffy
26-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Mine is all in the utility in a wall cupboard on a high shelf - not taking any chances :)

miffy xx

donnahay0
26-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't have any cleaning products. ...... not not really I keep mine in utility room in top cupboard where they can't reach - washing up liquid is kept by the sink.

Tatia
27-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Mine is all in the utility in a wall cupboard on a high shelf
How I long for a utility or laundry room again!

hello kitty
27-04-2008, 11:07 AM
All my products are under the sink with a lock on the cupboard door.

samgeordie
27-04-2008, 05:17 PM
mine are under the sink with a child lock on, when i had my inspection before i was registered I showed the care commission officer and she said that it was fine, the children will need to walk through the kitchen to get into the back garden.

bubbly
27-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Mine is in the cupboard under the sink with a child lock on it too. And I'm NOT moving it for my inspection tomorrow morning! I'll let you know if my inspector pulls me up on it.

bubbly
27-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Hubby not managed it yet :rolleyes:

Are you sure he's not spinning a line to get out of cleaning? :D

mum22
27-04-2008, 06:49 PM
yeah thats normally my hubby excuse - couldn;t find the duster and polish - .........

x helen

Donkey
28-04-2008, 08:56 AM
ive moved the very nasty stuff to a high up shelf in the kitchen cupboard, this has a lock and unless a child has a ladder they aint getting it.

under my kitchen sink is pet food and soap powder, with a magnetic lock, those things are evil, but at least i know they work!

bubbly
28-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I had my inspection today & asked for advice on storing cleaning products. I was told it's fine to store them under the sink with a child lock on the cupboard door. I suppose the advice may vary according to who inspects you though.

smithya85
29-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for that bubbly! So apart from that how did your inspection go? Was this your pre-reg inspection?

Amy :)

Fee
29-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Mines in the kitchen cabinet under the sink with a child lock on it. The kitchen is next to the lounge and th e kids are never left a lone in the kitchen.
Fee