PDA

View Full Version : Is it as legal requirement to have contracts?

Porridge
18-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know if it is a legal requirement for us to have written contracts. I was always under the impression that although it is advised, it is not a legal requirement. Just good practise. Now I am nearly finished on my NVQ3 and my assessor wants to see my contracts. There are one or two which are very out of date (I mean they are still relevant and all apply,but we have not signed to say we have reviewed them). I also have a casual agreement with one person who I do not have a contract with - i used to look after child regularly and now just have adhoc in holidays etc. I do have all the necessary legal paperwork suck as child record form, permission forms, pr forms etc.
Can anyone confirm for me please? Thank you.. x

Minstrel
18-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I would have thought confidentiality means she has no right to see them?? Has she said why?

green puppy
18-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I was told by my insurers that legally a verbal contract is fine, but if it's a condition of our registration then we would need a written one to be insured. I don't believe it is a legal requirement but always think you have no leg to stand on if you don't have written signed proof for fees etc.... Agree with Minstrel though about confidentiality, could you show a blank one if you have one to show the format you use if you do? Check on the ofsted website, there is a fact sheet stating what paperwork childminders need to keep.

sarah707
18-04-2011, 05:21 PM
If you are insured by the NCMA then you need their contracts if you stand any chance of getting help from them if things go wrong.

Apart from that it's extremely inadvisable to work without one.

Contracts should be reviewed at least annually and when things change.

Hth :D

Mouse
18-04-2011, 06:16 PM
It's always advisable to have a written contract, but it's not a legal requirement nor is it an Ofsted requirement. There is also no rule on reviewing them, though it is considered good practice to do it regularly. If nothing has changed though, the old contracts will still be valid. I don't know who decided they should be reviewed regularly, or what the idea is behind it, but that's what's considered good practice!

I'd tell your assessor that due to confidentiality you can't show her actual contracts, but you can show her a blank copy of one that you use. I can't see that she needs to see an actual one, so a blank one, or example of one should be fine.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Why would an assessor wish to see your contracts? I would ask and if necessary go higher. I cannot see why this required.

sarah707
18-04-2011, 07:23 PM
:update: If you are in Wales it is a legal requirement to have contracts (I just read it!!)

Hth :D

Porridge
18-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Ah yes - I meant to ask also if anyone else thought that would be ok with regards to confidentiality too. Completely forgot. Thank you for replies - you have certainly answered one of the questions I meant to ask!! I think I will email my assessor before she visits to get her to clarify what she actually wants to see. She may come up with an alternative way to cover that unit. It seems like a mini Ofsted inspection almost every time she comes to see me!!