PDA

View Full Version : Baby signing

Minstrel
16-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I know nothing about baby signing but am interested in giving it a go with DD.

Does anyone know the best time to start with them as I'm worried i have missed the prime time to start with her? Also do i need to go to a class or is there somewhere online i could learn (or maybe even make up our own signs?? It's not like she'd know!)

Thanks for any info you can give me! x

cherry
16-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Funnily enough I went to the OCMA conference and attend a baby signing workshop today.

We were told that any age child could learn signing and pick it up very easily.

The workshop was run by Shelley at Little Signers, here is their link
http://www.littlesignersclub.co.uk/

I found the workshop very interesting and we learnt about 39 signs and also how to sign some nursery rhymes.

Hope this helps

AnnieM
16-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I used to go to sing and sign with mindees and will be starting in May with my baby grandson, I was told that around 8 months is the perfect age to start, although there were lots that started later and some a little earlier. You can get sing and sign dvd's and also tiny talk do them too, personally I wouldn't make up the signs as it may well be easily muddled and you may well confuse your dd if you forget signs. They are really easy to learn and you can get cards for the most commonly used signs from tiny talk. There are also a few books with signs in them. :thumbsup: Why don't you see if you can get to a class with dd, they are great fun. :)

onceinabluemoon
17-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Are the signs the same as makaton or BSL or something completely different?

Mel_Johnson
17-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I went to tinytalk baby sign with my son from about 6 months, he loved it. He still signs when he's hungry or thirsty even now (22 months) and we haven't been to a class or practiced for about 4 months.
I believe that tiny talk is based on BSL with some of the signs adapted slightly for babies so they are easier to do.
I found the classes were a good way to learn. He loved the singing and picked up the signs without realising it.

Katiekoo
17-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I was a Sing and Sign teacher, signed with my daughter and now with my mindees as part of our daily routine. Any age can learn signs from about 6 months onwards is best, by two years their speech has usually come along so well that signs are no longer necessary but still fun! Sing and Sign do have brilliant classes - stage 1 and stage 2. They give you info sheets to take home each week, and have lots of fun songs and signs to learn. S&S is compatible with BSL and Makaton, signs are used that work best for Mum and Baby, and it's very intuitive (sp?). There are books and dvds plus if you join online you can access loads of video clips/tutorials.
http://www.singandsign.com/:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
17-04-2011, 08:59 AM
This is the link to the course I did

http://www.tinytalk.co.uk/

Loved the course it was great.

I also have some of the singandsign dvds that katieekoo recommends :thumbsup:

Love it wish I had done it with mine and hopefully I will get a baby whose Mum is open to the idea of signing :)

Minstrel
17-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the information.

I've looked at all the sites posted and although DD is a few days off turning 8 months- she doesn't seem to have the motor skills that they say will help determine if she is able to do it ie clapping , waving.

Not sure if she'll 'get it' :(

Katiekoo
17-04-2011, 05:48 PM
It's really worth signing in front of her even if she doesn't respond to start with, it all goes in I promise! :thumbsup:
The sooner you start the more natural it will feel to her to use signs when she's ready. You could play lot's of waving and clapping games and songs too, to get her interested in using her hands! They are so sweet at that age, you lucky thing :D
edited to add;
You can start with just a handful of signs but use them a lot every day. Routine signs are the best ones to start with because it's clear to the child what you are refering to and you get lots of chances to sign them through the day - 'nappy change', 'food', 'milk', 'more' and 'all gone' are the brilliant starters.