PDA

View Full Version : anyone with PCOS and trying to loose weight??

emmadines
10-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Hello,

I have been going to the gym for almost 7 weeks now and although the Easter hols is putting a bit of a blur on it as I cant take my wits with me and several other factors are in my way....... thing is not i feel like I'm getting bigger :(

I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome - – This condition is one of the most common causes of infertility affecting one in five women in the UK (NHS choices 2011. b) of child bearing age, this condition is caused by hormonal and metabolic disturbances within the body. During ovulation, hormones regulate the ovum’s development within the follicles inside the ovaries, when mature the ovum is released and travels down the fallopian tube. Polycystic ovary syndrome results in the imbalance of the female sex hormones causing low levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and progesterone, high levels of luteinizing hormone (LH), levels of oestrogen stay at normal levels Luteinizing hormone (LH) levels are high (Institute laboratories 2011 and). Polycystic ovary syndrome has been linked with insulin resistance (unable to respond to insulin), the over production of insulin results in the excessive levels of testosterone being produced. The hormone imbalance caused by polycystic ovary syndrome prevents the ovum from maturing, preventing the ovum being released (see figure 1). Women suffering from this condition often experience irregular or absent period, excessive hair loss or growth, acne, depression and weight gain, these symptoms vary in severity from person to person often contributing to infertility.) (just a brief outline of the condition)

I am one of those who find it difficult to loose weight.... Ive toyed with using diet pills but I'm worried about the complications that come with it such as heart disease etc. I was wondering if anyone else had this condition and was trying to loose weight and whether they have any suggestions, diet plane etc that would help me out?//

many that's

E

Blaze
10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Sorry - probably not much help, but a lady at my WW joined for this reason - she stuck to it & didn't cheat (her words) & followed an exercise plan from a trainer at her gym so that she would tone & she has lost about 3 stone - if she's there this week I'll ask her (she's gold now, so doesn't come every week). x

sarah707
11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Going to the gym and exercising is excellent for your overall health and fitness. It extends your life and helps you lose inches.

However when looking for a weight loss, exercise only contributes 10% the rest is down to what you eat / drink.

If you want to lose weight you need to combine the gym with a weight loss programme that you can stick with and that is easy and fits in with your lifestyle.

Crash diets or pills don't make it easy they just make you hungrier in the long run!!

To lose weight you have to be really organised... buy only what you want to eat, pre-prepare food so it's there when you are hungry and make healthier choices until they become second nature.

You can lose weight with any medical condition if you have the right motivation... why not set yourself little goals... 1 - 2lb a week and in 1/2 stone you will buy xxx for yourself.

Good luck! :D

The Juggler
11-04-2011, 09:05 AM
going to the gym is one of the best things you can do for fitness hon, regardless of weight so keep it up or find something you enjoy more, a class etc.

I know for me, as I passed 40 I found it harder and harder to lose weight by cutting out the things I used to - just cutting out sweets and a bit of carbs didn't work so well for me any more. My metabolism has completely changed and nothing I did shifted it.

I have found an eating plan now - I call it that and not a diet because although you have to completely rethink the way and what you eat, you are not restricting the amounts you eat - which I like!:laughing: But it works. Basically it's a lifestyle change. I think it's very close to the GI diet.

You have to look for carbs in almost everything you eat so not just bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, but salad dressings, lentils (so soups etc), fizzy diet drinks are horrendous for it, peas and corn are out and so are bowls of cereal. You CAN eat them but in small portions after your workout (within an hour). Then if you restrict your dairy and choc intake on top it really works. Supposed to cut out wine too but I didn't :blush:

I did it for month and a half, back in Sept/Oct and since then have now reintroduced carbs so I have them once a day for breakfast and twice a week in the evening tops. You get all your carb needs from green, leafy veg and fruit. I haven't lost any more since then. I've put on a pound here and there but dropped carbs for fruit for brekkie for a few days and it drops off again. :thumbsup:

Easy to follow with family too, if you dish up just have extra veg, salad instead of whatever they are having (rice/pasta etc) and if I go out for a meal I just eat whatever I want.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I have pcos and although it doesnt seem to effect my weight it did effect my periods and ability to concieve.

My doctor put me on metformin to help me and one of the side effects is weight loss as u dont crave sugar and starchy carbs, ask your doc what he/she thinks

mrs robbie williams
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
my dd who is 16 has pcos has been put on metformin aswell as it definitely seems to be an appetite depressant :thumbsup:

sonia ann
11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
my dd is 22yrs and has pcos she has lost 2 1/2 st with slimming world, it is a good healthy eating plan, she finds it easy to follow and combined with her dance classes the weight has fallen off her ...................it is about making the correct food choices, have a look at their website :)

candy cat
11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I have it and suffer very badly with pms too....:angry: he he......I go to slimming world as it makes me eat a good healthy diet...lost 11lbs slow but going in right direction:)

Eddisonsmum
11-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I dont have pcos but I did have an ovarian tumour removed. After surgery I didn't have periods and was told I needed to try for a baby straight away. My doctor gve me metformin to regulate my cycle and it worked, plus I lost half a stone in 2 weeks. And within a month I ws pregnant! My doctor told me that metformin was widely used to treat pcos and diabetes. Maybe ask ur doc? X

emmadines
12-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Hello, Thank You for your replies, I was toying with going to the doctor (we get on with our docter which is a plus) and asking, I dont know if they will offer me this as we are no longer trying for anymore children (two is more then enough plus the minded children.....) I would just like to loose a lil bit of weight

Emma
x

melanieabigail2004
12-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I have PCOS and have been on metformin for 2 years now. Have lost over 2 stone with the help of the drugs and following a low GI diet.

The Juggler
12-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm so rubbish at posting links but I posted this a while ago

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77429

its about an article which discusses hormones in weight gain/loss. I thought it was really interesting but couldn't have been that thrilling as no-one else read it :laughing: :laughing:

emmadines
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm so rubbish at posting links but I posted this a while ago

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77429

its about an article which discusses hormones in weight gain/loss. I thought it was really interesting but couldn't have been that thrilling as no-one else read it :laughing: :laughing:

i saw this the other week - neglected to reply (sorry) was interesting

The Juggler
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
i saw this the other week - neglected to reply (sorry) was interesting

:laughing: :laughing: haha no worries hon but it is very interesting how hormones in your system can sabotage your weight loss efforts - was particularly fascinated by the stress hormone and the ones in beer :eek:

Helcatt
12-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I am in the same boat

I have to say, following a low carb diet is the way that works for me and a few other people I know with PCOS have said the same thing

You just have to be disciplined about it. I lose when I plan my meals, I don't if I bounce from one day to the next without thinking properly in advance.

I find picnics particularly hard. And often I end up eating a pasta salad which is terrible for me

I did lose weight with slimming world before, but I found that much harder to stick to and a much slower process

HX

The Juggler
13-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I am in the same boat

I have to say, following a low carb diet is the way that works for me and a few other people I know with PCOS have said the same thing

You just have to be disciplined about it. I lose when I plan my meals, I don't if I bounce from one day to the next without thinking properly in advance.

I find picnics particularly hard. And often I end up eating a pasta salad which is terrible for me

I did lose weight with slimming world before, but I found that much harder to stick to and a much slower process

HX

it is hard isn't it. It was the 'hidden' carbs that surprised me - chick peas, peas (which I love), lentils, corn. On picnics, I tend to pick at the sausages,meats on picnics then eat loads of cucumber, tomatoes and olives and fruit - but gave in yesterday and took a sandwich same as the kiddies.:D

Helcatt
15-04-2011, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=The Juggler;907772]it is hard isn't it. It was the 'hidden' carbs that surprised me - chick peas, peas (which I love), lentils, corn. On picnics, I tend to pick at the sausages,meats on picnics then eat loads of cucumber, tomatoes and olives and fruit - but gave in yesterday and took a sandwich same as the kiddies.:D[/QUOTE

Snap - was good today though! I often end up picking at their pasta salad, but stuck to the cold meats etc

I didn't realise when I was doing slimming world. I didn't take on board what they were saying about peas etc, really shocked me when I looked in to it properly

Its not the bread that does it in for me, its the pasta. I wondered why I gained so much when I was pg, it was the bread cravings and the breadmaker was not helping!

Hx

The Juggler
15-04-2011, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=The Juggler;907772]it is hard isn't it. It was the 'hidden' carbs that surprised me - chick peas, peas (which I love), lentils, corn. On picnics, I tend to pick at the sausages,meats on picnics then eat loads of cucumber, tomatoes and olives and fruit - but gave in yesterday and took a sandwich same as the kiddies.:D[/QUOTE

Snap - was good today though! I often end up picking at their pasta salad, but stuck to the cold meats etc

I didn't realise when I was doing slimming world. I didn't take on board what they were saying about peas etc, really shocked me when I looked in to it properly

Its not the bread that does it in for me, its the pasta. I wondered why I gained so much when I was pg, it was the bread cravings and the breadmaker was not helping!

Hx

Tell me. We had a canteen at work and I'd often have THREE bread muffins for breakfast every day :blush: :blush: sometimes with bacon in :eek: :eek: :blush: