PDA

View Full Version : I could do with some advice please...

jw19nr
24-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Hello. I have now completed my ICP etc (waiting for results any day now) and I am keen to get my application sent off but would like to ask a few questions first (sorry for so many!) :

* I have made a few mistakes on my application form - do I need to get a whole new form? I know it was stupid of me, but I had my 4month old on my lap so was only half concentrating!

* Does EVERTHING in the house need to be done before the inspection, or can I just show what I plan to do? I just worry about spending the money and then not getting registered.

*Do I need to create all the contracts, policies etc before my inspection?

*I have glass in my TV cabinet - will it be ok if I just put the safetly film on it?

* DO they tell you straight away if you pass/fail the inspection?

* I have a 4month old - will they mind if she is there during the inspection? Is it best to get somebody else to help out with her so I can talk to the inspector? I dont know what would look best?

* Do they expect you to have toys and equipment for all ages, before you have children on role?

* Does anybody do overnight care? It is a question on the application form if I intend to do it. Is there extra requirements to do this? I wouldn't mind having the option there in case I decide to do this but not if its lots of hassle?

*How do I find out if there are start up grants avaliable in my area?

Sorry for all the questions but I would really appriciate the help!

sarah707
24-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello. I have now completed my ICP etc (waiting for results any day now) and I am keen to get my application sent off but would like to ask a few questions first (sorry for so many!) :

* I have made a few mistakes on my application form - do I need to get a whole new form? I know it was stupid of me, but I had my 4month old on my lap so was only half concentrating!

I imagine it'll be fine!

* Does EVERTHING in the house need to be done before the inspection, or can I just show what I plan to do? I just worry about spending the money and then not getting registered.

No, just show you are prepared to make changes etc to suit what Ofsted want.

*Do I need to create all the contracts, policies etc before my inspection?

No but it's good to show what you are working towards

*I have glass in my TV cabinet - will it be ok if I just put the safetly film on it?

Yes

* DO they tell you straight away if you pass/fail the inspection?

Yes

* I have a 4month old - will they mind if she is there during the inspection? Is it best to get somebody else to help out with her so I can talk to the inspector? I dont know what would look best?

Put your child's welfare first...

* Do they expect you to have toys and equipment for all ages, before you have children on role?

You will be expected to say how you will effectively care for all ages of children... it might help to have a wish list of things for different agegroups etc

* Does anybody do overnight care? It is a question on the application form if I intend to do it. Is there extra requirements to do this? I wouldn't mind having the option there in case I decide to do this but not if its lots of hassle?

I don't know... maybe have a look around the forum, I'm sure this one has been answered before

*How do I find out if there are start up grants avaliable in my area?

Ask your local CIS

Sorry for all the questions but I would really appriciate the help!

Hope this helps! :D

son77
24-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I agree totally with Sarah.

On my pre reg I had my 16mth old daughter with me, I was planning to send her to grandparents but they gave me less than a day to organise myself that she stayed with me. I asked if this would be ok & thay said yes. All went fine so just do whats best for you & LO.

jw19nr
24-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you! I am sure I will have some more questions soon!

OH actually, one other thing: What are all the costs involved? They werent too keen to go into money too much at the ICP course which was a shame as I would like to know. I have first aid already so don't need that.

miffy
24-04-2008, 08:29 PM
You've had some good advice already

Just wanted to wish you luck

miffy xx

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Same here

Good luck you will be fine im sure

Angel xx

Cazz
25-04-2008, 06:06 PM
jw19nr,

I'm glad you asked all those questions cos a lot of them were ones that I wanted to know the answers to!

We sound in very similar boats (I am starting my ICP course next week) and I also have a 4 month old daughter and was wondering if I should have her here when I have the pre-reg! I think I will cos she is gorgeous (biased? me?) and normally so well behaved that I hope the ofsted person will think that I should certainly be a childminder with a baby like that :laughing: .

How did you find the ICP course? I am looking forward to the new challenge of becoming a childminder but keep feeling quite overwhelmed as I am finding out loads on here! Do you feel like that?

Just to be really nosey, where do you live? I am in Norfolk but no doubt you are miles and miles away from here!

Carole x