PDA

View Full Version : Home set up/ numbers/ partners etc

Babycat
05-04-2011, 11:28 PM
So here goes! First post!

Completing my policies, planning, safety, risk assessments etc so paper work I’m fine with! Maybe not my application pack haha!

My main worry is my space so wanted to see if anyone was similar! I have a long sitting room/dining room where things can move around to give space but for talking sake say 6ft by 6ft of space without moving a thing and my childs bedroom at top of stairs which I'm planning to use which just fit a blow up double bed in the space in there say 6ft by 6ft also.

I know that in the national care standards that each child must have a set sq mt of space so is there an actual way you can work how many children you can have? or anyone with a similar set up?

Also a bit worried about upstairs and downstairs and plan to have a gate at top and bottom of stairs, kitchen and childs bedroom. Would this be too much?

Safety too, do you have to secure all furniture to walls in all rooms used by children? and do drawers etc in bedrooms containing clothes need to have a latch? Totally sounds stupid! (I was even just considering a laminated red X? and explain that this is off bounds in childrens rules?)

The other big worry is my partner works shifts so what do CM's partners do when at home? Can they watch TV? Have meals? or do they have to hide upstairs lol! Also (sounds daft!) can they come 'collect' your child when they want?

Loads of anxieties to begin with hope some of you guys can help!

Thanks!!

arly
06-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Firstly Welcome to this fab forum there is so much information on here :)

Dont worry too much about space, I live in a 3 bedroom semi detached house which is just ur usual family sized home, we make do with the space we have. I use my living room, kitchen, hallway ( which is tiny but it has my notice board and kids display wall where they can put their pics) and I have a downstairs toilet, the only room I use is my bedroom upstairs as a sleep room as I keep the childrens bedroom work free as thats their space. I have my back garden registered aswell.

As for your partner working shifts he shouldnt be made to feel unwelcome in his own home you just have to work round it. :thumbsup:

Gizmo
06-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
I dont know if I would use childs bedroom for sleeping, what will you do when the schools are on holiday etc
I live in a bungalow and bedroom doors are kept closed, mindees sleep either in pram in the hall or on the couch CC where fine with this
As for your oh its his house so he can come and go as he pleases
:D

sammc_74
06-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi (this is my first reply so bare with me!)

Just wondering if you've had your pre-registration Ofsted inspection yet as I've just gone through that ordeal and found that the very nice lady answered all my queries about what I need to do and how to accomodate everyone (including my partner who also works shifts).

I was lead to believe that as long as your partner is CRB checked he should be able to do as he pleases during childminding hours and even join in with activites if he really wants too :)

I live in a 4 bedroom town house and am keeping upstairs out of bound - Ofsted are happy with this and have still registered me to have my full quota so space is not that big an issue really. Remember this is your home not just a place of business and as long as you can state what precautions you will take to reduce risks in your home Ofsted should be happy... I considered fitting a hob guard as my electric hob remains quite hot even after its turned off but was advised that it wasn't really necessary as long as I ensured that children would not be left unsupervised in the kitchen.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

danasdaycare
15-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have a two bedroom flat, and have just been advised can have 6 under 12 years. Space in the care standards is for nurseries and so on.

My officer did not discuss furniture being secured to walls. I have however moved cd racks to our bedroom which will be out of bounds. Officer said all I need to do is explain that this room is out of use. No need to lock it if I don't want to, which i would not as be worried about fire situation!

It may be worth keeping one area 'child free' so your OH can relax. Our bedroom is out of bounds as I said, for example. As others have pointed out, as he will have his enhanced disclosure as part of your application, there should not be any worries.

If some parents raise concerns about who is in the house, assure them you are the childminder and not your OH. I have put a wee bit in my welcome pack stating that we are a family of me, partner & daughter-gives them an idea of the set up before they agree a contract.

HTH

Dana