PDA

View Full Version : Coming back after a break....new fees?

Newbie1!
05-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Hello all, well I really need some advice regarding charges for two after schoolies that are coming back to me after a brief break (about a month as mum got made redundant)

The first one I collect at 2.30 (hes in nursery and is 3 1/2) and keep until 6pm. His older brother I collect at 3.00 and keep until 6pm. They get a snack when we get home and then tea and dessert. The school isnt within my "local" radar although only about 3 miles each way. I had decided that anything out of my village Id charge extra time for (as in collection time) but havent enforced that with anyone so far.

They are coming back for longer hours and more days (which is why the fee will be different to last time)

Im curious as to whether anyone would charge the younger one for a full afternoon as he is 3?

Well - now Ive finished waffling - my basic question is what would be a reasonable amount (understanding fees are different in different areas etc) for both of these per week? xxx Thank you much xxx

Andrea08
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
do you have a fixed fee for local school pick-up? im £10 a night thats 3-6pm inc snack not a large evening meal (stopped this last yr it was getting too much)

i do give discounts for full time mon-fri and siblings etc why not just add £2 a night for travel expences.. sorry not much help xx

mama2three
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I charge £30 a week for a child , one day 2.15 to 6 and second day 4-6 . Its 7 miles each way to her school and she has tea / snack. Its a little more than my hourly rate but have rounded up due to the collection.
I dont know youre previous rates but would possibly offer a set fee of £25 for the two per day.

Newbie1!
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Thank you guys - the after school world is like a mine-field to me!!!

I had been thinking around the £30 per day mark so I think your prob right Kath with the £25.

Andrea - I do have a set school pick up fee but have recently discovered that I have seriously sold myself short on this compared to other minders and so am in the process of reviewing this. I also hate doing teas as it means I dont get as much time to spend with mindees as Id like to but two of my after school parents insist on it and dont want to lose them over a meal so have just persevered (SP?)

What I didnt mention in my first post is that I had given mum a few figures, not a quote but how much for meals, how much per hour I charge etc etc - she had calculated that it would come to £700 a calendar month :eek: and this is what she had told tax credits. I didnt go into that figure with her there and then, just said that Id calculate it properly and let her know. I dont want to rob her as shes one of the good ones but I also dont want to end up in six months time regretting not charging her properly :panic: :panic:

Goatgirl
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi :),
For me, I would charge 2 till 6 (4 hours minimum) for the little one as he takes up an under 5 space, even 5 hours if it was going to be difficult to fill the morning space. I'd charge 3 hours for the after schoolie. I don't provide a cooked dinner.

so 7 hours at my hourly rate would be 26.25 a day for both children, not including a meal.

As you are providing a meal I'd be possibly charging an extra hour for the younger one and including the meal in the hourly fee, making it 8 hours and £30 a day at my fees rate.

About tea: could you not just provide a cold snack-tea? Surely if they're at school they can have hot dinners there? Its much easier and less time consuming.
My lot have snack after school (included in my hourly rate) and I offer fruit, then yoghurt if still hungry, then a sandwich or toast, muffin, teacake etc if still hungry!! but I'd rather do this than go to all the stress of shopping cooking clearing up etc thet goes with a cooked meal.

What about giving notice of changing to a new system where you charge a much higher rate for cooked meals but are happy to continue with current charges if parents wish to change to cold snack - tea stylie meals??...

Good luck with whatever you decide to charge. Presumably Mum will get help with fees if she is talking to tax credits... But charges are charges and you need to make a living, so whatever the situation, be strong and charge what you know you will be happy with. Better to go in high and be talked down, than undersell yourself and be stuck with it long term :thumbsup:

Best wishes,
Wendy

miffy
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
she had calculated that it would come to £700 a calendar month :eek: and this is what she had told tax credits.

I hope she isn't using one set of figures for tax credits and another when it comes to paying you :panic:

Miffy xx

Newbie1!
06-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you all - I think Ive decided Im going to go for the £30 a day for both. Its still a lot less monthly than mum has told tax credits and not sure how much she would get towards it etc.

There really should be something in place where HMRC write to you to confirm how much your fees are/get us to claim them direct etc but.....suppose it doesnt matter how much I go on about that...its far too logical!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks much - will see how we go with the £30 xxxx