PDA

View Full Version : Warming up baby food

missymood
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Have a 6mnth mindee. He is on weening food.
This sounds really stupid but how do people warm home made baby food when at a toddler group as mum wants me to give him food at 11.00.

Thanks

mama2three
05-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Can you ask for a jug of boiling water to sit the food in to warm through? Ours has a microwave if thats what you would use at home.
Try him with it at room temperature , this is what my lot prefer - their milk wasnt warmed up either.

PixiePetal
05-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I use a microwave if there is one, making sure I have a suitable container to warm it in.

Sometimes I put food into an Avent bottle I have left over from when my children were young which i put food into and warm in a jug of water then use a long handled plastic ice cream spoon to feed it :o .

Also I ask mum for something easy to warm on those days. :thumbsup: they sometimes bring a jar on the toddler days and then I feed it from the jar at room temp

grindal
05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Can you ask for a jug of boiling water to sit the food in to warm through? Ours has a microwave if thats what you would use at home.
Try him with it at room temperature , this is what my lot prefer - their milk wasnt warmed up either.

I thought all precooked food had to be thoroughly heated and allowed to cool to room temperature? This is what I always did with baby weaning foods?

I think you may need to ask mum to provide something packaged that can just be used at room temp for days you are out.

Cammie Doodle
05-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I thought all precooked food had to be thoroughly heated and allowed to cool to room temperature? This is what I always did with baby weaning foods?

I think you may need to ask mum to provide something packaged that can just be used at room temp for days you are out.

I think the quote above is right, if my memory serves me right :rolleyes: It has to be heated to a high temp , this kills harmful bacteria that have grown since the food was first cooked

Dragonfly
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Agree with Grindal :thumbsup:

candy cat
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
yep reheat as we would with any food that needs reheating as risk of food poisining

onceinabluemoon
05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
it needs to be heated to 75 degrees Celsius and cooled rapidly. You cannot realistically do this at a toddler group unless they have a microwave and a food probe so you are either going to have to tell the parent that you cannot feed the child at 11am or go home from the group early.

grindal
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
To be honest I find the whole reheating baby food thing a bit of an issue. Last year my mindees mum asked me to make sure I put mindees weaning food in the fridge (of course I would!) as it had been left out overnight cos her fridge was full :eek: :eek:
Then this year, mindees mum said only to warm the food as she did not want mindee to burn her mouth :angry: and she did not like hot food.

It was one of the reasons why I decided to provide all meals. It is difficult to put yourself in the position of being responsible for maintaining food hygiene regulations when you do not know that food has been correctly cooked and cooled the first time round at parents home.

missymood
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all your replies
Have fed little one with his milk at music group and then went home and fed him his lunch at 11.30. Too difficult to do at a music group and he makes such a mess bless him.

Much happier today as well:thumbsup:

Will speak to mum to see if this is ok otherwise not sure what else I can do really